Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Who is that?" You squinted your eyes to the right side of the bench you and 2-D sat on.

   The pilot that had given you a ride from the island to civilization. Who saved your lives. Along with his daughter. The little girl was only about 8 or 9 years old. When she saw 2-D, her face lit up and she ran as fast as she could to him embracing him in a tight hug. 2-D was startled at first but then hugged her back with one arm, a small smile on his face. Her dad chuckled and apologized. The girl pulled away, staring up at the man who was a giant compared to her holding her hands together in joy.

The father put his arm around her, "I know a pilot who can bring you back home tomorrow. Just one thing I need from you."

"What would that be?", You questioned.

"My daughter would like an autograph from this guy right here." He points to 2-D.

2-D stepped forward, "Oh of course no problem sir."

    The girl handed him her little diary she brought along with her. He wrote a sweet little message about how much he appreciated her...appreciation in his classic messy hand writing. He misspelled a few words too. It didn't bother her though. She was happy.

"You're not going to like... try to mug us are you?" You budded in.

"No! No! We will bring you two home to London safe. Get some rest and meet me back here at five-o'clock tomorrow morning. There's a motel we are staying at just down that way, it's very cheap!" The man says, pointing his index finger down the dirt path.

"Okay, thank you sir, we'll be sure to be here on time."

"You two take care now." The man says before walking away with the overly happy little girl.

    "That was...strange." You thought but didn't say out loud so they couldn't hear. 2-D heard a bird cawing. It was Cortez, who finally came back. To be honest, you forgot about him ever since you came go Mexico and felt a bit guilty about that.  The raven flew from the weak tree branch and perched himself onto your shoulder. He climbs down your arm, his talons digging into your skin just a little on his way down. Cortez then began to regurgitate Mexican pesos and coins onto your lap. 2-D stuck his tongue out and furrowed his eyebrows in disgust.

"Cortez you little pick pocketing bastard." You said laughing.

2-D attempted to count the money but lost track at 50. "Ya' fink' fhat'll be enough for a night?"

You stood up from your seat, 2-D soon following, "Yeah, just enough. Cortez, stay here until the morning. They aren't going to let you in the motel." You ran your fingers across his jet-black feathers. He only let you do this without throwing a fit or trying to bite you. Even if he listened to Murdoc the best, he still won't let his slimy hands all over his feathers.
2-D was extremely exhausted. As you walked together down the dusty path, 2-D yawned and groaned. He stretched and leaned on you, desperately wanting to fall asleep.

    Once you made it to the motel, you checked in  and rushed to your room. 2-D shoved the door open before quickly locking it. You were two foreigners in a cheap, sketchy motel in Mexico and you were not taking any chances. You turn the old lamp on. The light was dim but enough to where you could see the whole room. A single bed, plain wallpaper, worn down carpet, a digital alarm clock, and a bathroom with a sink, towels, soap, an old shower, and toilet. Your hand reaches for the shower faucet. You turn it to warm. Surprisingly, it worked. You walk back into the main room to see 2-D sprawled out on the bed, his arms and legs hanging off of it.

"Baby come on. You need a shower." You say, shaking him lightly.

He groans and turns away.

"Just real quick. I'll help you."

"Mmmh...okay..."

    2-D slowly stood up, his eyelids heavy. You both return to the doorless bathroom and stripped from your clothing. He stepped into the warm stream of water, you following soon after. He soaks his greasy hair with water and sits down on the tile floor. You roll your eyes and poor the cheap shampoo over his head and messaged it through his hair. It relaxed him even more. 2-D began cleaning his body with a new bar of soap while you made sure every strand of his azure hair was clean.
"Tilt your head back." You say softly.
He did as he was told with his eyes closed. You rinsed his hair as well as you could using the shower head. After you were done, he got out and dried his hair with a towel, put his boxers back on, and went straight to bed. You cleaned yourself up next, put on your bra and underwear, set the alarm, and went to sleep too. You laid on top of 2-D in his arms since the bed was so small.

You felt safe there.
You knew things would only go uphill from here.
Being with Murdoc again and meeting Noodle and Russel.
Starting a proper life with your boyfriend.
Being part of a family again.

* * * *

A buzzing woke 2-D. 4:45am. Thank God. He shakes you lightly. "Wake up, luv'. Eht's time to go."

You slowly raised your head, "huh...? Oh!"

You and 2-D both got up in a hurry, tossing your clothes on. 2-D tossed the key to the room in front of the lobby building since it wasn't open yet. Everything went according to plan.

"Let's go home, Stuart."