8 - The Fall of the King

LATER ON THAT DAY, T'CHALLA AND NAKIA SAT ON A CLIFF NEAR THE BORDER TRIBE, WATCHING THE ROLLING PLAINS IN FRONT OF THEM

LATER ON THAT DAY, T'CHALLA AND NAKIA SAT ON A CLIFF NEAR THE BORDER TRIBE, WATCHING THE ROLLING PLAINS IN FRONT OF THEM. T'Challa had just learned about the true identity of the man that had cost them Klaue, and he was both shocked and horrified by the man's story.

"He killed his own brother...," T'Challa said to Nakia, finishing his explanation of what he had been told. "...and left a child behind with nothing. What kind of king... What kind of man does that?"

"No man is perfect," Nakia said. "Not even your father."

"He didn't even give him a proper burial." T'Challa stared out at the plains again. "My uncle N'Jobu betrayed us, but my father... He may have created something even worse."

"Hey," Nakia said firmly. "Look at me." T'Challa looked at her, and she went on, "You can't let your father's mistakes define who you are. You get to decide what kind of king you are going to be."

T'Challa was silent, going over Nakia's words in his head. Then, Nakia asked, "So are you and the Ambassador going to work things out?"

T'Challa sighed. "I don't think so. I do care for her, and I believe she feels the same. But now, she is distancing herself from me and I don't know why."

"Maybe she is just trying to protect you," Nakia suggested.

T'Challa shook his head. "No, that can't be. There's no one here that would want to..." He trailed off, the image of Eris appearing in his mind. "Except the goddess of chaos."

Nakia frowned. "Who?"

"In the casino in Busan, Diana was attacked by a woman she said was called Eris, the goddess of chaos," T'Challa explained. "And ever since then, she's tried to put distance between us. Eris must have said something to her that caused her to behave that way."

Nakia nodded. "She does know you can handle yourself, correct?"

"Yes, but if I remember correctly, only a god can kill another god. And I..." T'Challa sighed. "I am no god."

Nakia started to reply, but before she could, T'Challa's kimoyo beads trilled. Raising his wrist, a hologram of his sister appeared, and she looked frantic and worried.

"Brother, you need to get here now!" Shuri said.

T'Challa glanced at Nakia before the two of them jumped to their feet and ran back to the palace. When they reached the palace, Diana was waiting for them, her face expressionless as they approached.

"What is going on?" Nakia asked.

"A man has come to Wakanda," Diana explained. "He's not from here and he won't say where he is from."