17 - Reunited

DIANA WAS NERVOUS TO SAY THE LEAST

She hadn't been to Wakanda in almost two years, and she hadn't made any sort of contact with anyone from Wakanda, either. She knew it was childish and unfair of her to just sever all contact with the beautiful country, but she wasn't mad at T'Challa; she was scared. She was scared that, if she contacted him, all the feelings she had for him would flood to the surface, and she wouldn't be able to stop herself from going back. But now, she didn't have a choice. She had agreed to help the former Avengers defend the earth, and she had to keep her word. Even if it meant a very tense and awkward interaction between herself and the king she had left behind.

So that was why she now sat in the Quinjet with Steve, Natasha, Vision, Raevanna, and Wanda, heading to Wakanda with Sam as the pilot. As much as she hated to admit it, Diana was dreading her return to the seclusive African country. She had no idea what to expect or what to do.

"So you really dated him?" Raevanna asked Diana, bringing the Amazon out of her thoughts.

Diana looked at the young faery, who was studying her curiously. "Yes, I did," Diana said. "It was only for awhile, though."

"Did you love him?" Raevanna asked.

Diana was quiet for a moment, then nodded at her. "I did love him, yes."

"Then why did you break things up?" Raevanna questioned her. When Diana frowned, she explained, "It was you that ended it, right?"

Diana nodded. "Yes, it was me." She sighed, looking down before closing her eyes. "But... I brought an enemy from my past to Wakanda when I arrived. It led to a battle that nearly destroyed the country. And I was reminded that no matter where I go, enemies will follow, and put those I love in danger. That is why I ended it. That is why I left."

Raevanna was silent for a moment, going over Diana's words in her head. Then, she got up and walked over to Diana before putting a hand on her shoulder. "I get it," Raevanna said. "When you love someone, you don't want them to get hurt, especially if it's your fault. And that's how I felt about Steve for awhile. But..." She looked over at Steve, who was talking to Natasha. "I realized that being away from him hurt more than it did whenever someone I fought tried to kill him. And then, I realized that if I wanted to keep him safe from the enemies I'd made, I had to be with him to make sure he stayed that way." Raevanna smiled, then looked back at Diana. "And because I love him, I keep myself strong enough to do that. So I stay."

"But what about your family?" Diana asked. "Did they accept him as you have?"

"Not at first," Raevanna admitted. "I mean I'm a faery and Steve isn't, so naturally there was going to be protest and resistance. The most my family was afraid of was him betraying me. But he didn't. And when it came down to it, he wound up rescuing my best friend when Elyon was invaded. And that proved to me and everyone else that he wasn't going anywhere." Raevanna tilted her head, grinning again. "Look, I've met the king before, and I found out that he's more than capable of taking care of himself. So you should stop worrying and give him a chance. He might just surprise you."