Epilogue

7 MONTHS LATER

7 MONTHS LATER...

"SINCE MY MOTHER IS THE HIGHEST RANKING ELDER BESIDES MYSELF, SHE WILL PERFORM THE CEREMONY," T'CHALLA SAID TO DIANA. "Is that alright?"

Diana shrugged. "Whatever makes you happy, T'Challa."

It had been over half a year since the final battle, and all had been going exceptionally well. The world was well on its way to rebuilding, and almost everything had returned to normal. Steve and Raevanna were expecting a baby girl that was due in the next three months, and most of the other Avengers had either retired or resigned to just solo hero work. Diana herself had moved to Wakanda and taken up a permanent residence there — which was only fitting considering that she and T'Challa were engaged.

So now, Diana sat in one of the gyms with T'Challa, watching as he trained with a holographic sparring partner. She was nervous because today was the big day. Today was the day she and T'Challa were going to be married. And even though most of the people of Wakanda had accepted her, she knew there were still some others who did not want to see their king marry an outsider.

"This is not about what makes me happy, Diana," T'Challa said, waving his hand and making the hologram disappear. "After I passed a series of initiations to become the Black Panther, there was one final test." He walked up to her and sat beside her. "My soul was transported to the celestial plane, where I came face-to-face with a cosmic entity with the power to completely destroy me. The Panther God."

"But I'm not becoming the Black Panther," Diana said. "That's you."

"I know, but you are becoming my bride," T'Challa told her. "You will be judged as a soulmate and as a bearer of future generations of–"

"Wait," Diana said, holding up a hand to silence him. "Are you saying that there's a possibility that we could not get married? That if the panther god looks unfavorably on me... then what I feel for you... means nothing?"

T'Challa shook his head, putting his hand on her shoulder. "Of course not. In a worst case scenario, the panther god could consume your immortal soul. But that's highly unlikely."

Diana raised an eyebrow. "Are you joking?"

T'Challa shook his head again. "No." Taking her hand, he went on, "Diana, this ritual is one of the central tenets of our culture. It is one of the reasons why we have remained strong over the centuries." He looked directly into her eyes. "Would you want me to resign my title as king over this? Does it scare you?"

Diana shook her head. "Very little scares me, you know this. But please understand if — and I mean if — I were to fail the panther god's test, I would want you to resign and be with me."

"Then you agree to the ritual," T'Challa said.

Diana brushed her hair away from her face. "You didn't answer my question."