32 - The Ultimate Sacrifice

DIANA LET OUT A FIERCE BATTLE CRY, AS DID THOR AND T'CHALLA

DIANA LET OUT A FIERCE BATTLE CRY, AS DID THOR AND T'CHALLA. And with that, the heroes charged, heading straight for Thanos. Thanos raised his sword towards them, commanding his army to charge as well.

Then, both sides collided.

Diana lunged forward, beheading a Chitauri soldier before stabbing an Outrider through the chest. As it fell, two more took its place, but she bashed one with her shield, then used her Lasso to knock away the others. A Chitauri gorilla bounded towards her, so she slid under its swinging arm before she spun around and sliced its arm off with her sword. As it roared in pain, she grabbed its good arm and stabbed it in the neck, then tossed its body aside and leapt back into battle.

As Diana fought, she realized that she had missed battle. Her old friends Chief and Charlie used to joke that she was not a demigoddess, but a goddess of war much like her half-brother had been. Fighting was part of what made her an Amazon, since they were, in fact, a warrior race. Nothing and no one could change that.

Suddenly, as the battle raged on, Diana heard Clint's voice over comms.

"Cap, what do you want me to do with this damn thing?" he asked, and Diana realized that he must have had the gauntlet.

"Get those stones as far away as possible!" Steve told him.

"No!" Bruce said. "We need to get them back where they came from."

"No way to get them back," Tony reminded them. "Thanos destroyed the quantum tunnel."

That was when Scott spoke. "Hold on!" he said, then added after a pause, "That wasn't our only time machine."

Then, Diana suddenly heard a van's horn from afar, playing the song La Cucaracha. Upon hearing it, Steve went to higher ground, and Diana took to the skies to locate the vehicle.

"Anyone see an ugly, brown van up there?" Steve asked.

"Yes!" Raevanna replied. "But you're not gonna like where it's parked!"

Diana looked around, finally noticing the van. But Raevanna had been right - it was at the edge of the battlefield, behind hordes of Outriders and the other members of Thanos' army.

"Scott, how long you need to get that thing working?" Tony asked.

"Maybe ten minutes," Scott replied.

"Get it started," Steve said. "We'll get the stones to you."

"We're on it, Cap," came the voice of Hope Van Dyne, aka the Wasp.

Diana dropped down from the sky, landing in a mass of Outriders and clashing her bracelets together. A powerful silver energy pulse emanated from the crossed metal, expanding around the Outriders and vaporizing nearly all of them. But as soon as Diana turned around, she heard a vicious snarl, and then a blast of energy struck her side, knocking her to the ground. She tried to get up, but was stopped when Proxima Midnight pounced on her and pinned her to the ground.