14 - Night Terrors

ALL DIANA COULD SEE WAS WAR

A ferocious battle was raging around her, the screams of strange creatures and the cries of man ringing out across the battlefield. The dry grass was spattered with blood of various colors, and the bodies of both aliens and humans were scattered around her. Blaster fire, the clash of metal, and the tearing of flesh rang in her ears, only adding to the gruesome scene around her.

Diana turned her head left and right, struggling to process what she was seeing. How had she gotten here? What was this war about? And why were there aliens around her?

Diana looked down at her sword, gasping when she saw the blood staining the steel. She had been fighting? When? And why couldn't she remember it?

Suddenly Diana's blood went cold. She spun around, her eyes wide when she saw T'Challa across the battlefield, struggling to fend off the three, huge, four-armed monsters that had pinned him to the ground. There was a man fighting nearby T'Challa that Diana didn't recognize — a man with shaggy sandy-blonde hair and a matching beard. The suit he wore resembled the American flag, but it was dirty and faded, almost as if he had worn it for years. He wore a Wakandan weapon on his arm as he pummeled the aliens around him, and even from where she stood Diana knew his strength was far greater than that of any normal man.

The weapon on his arm told Diana where she really was. This was the land she had left behind almost two years ago. This war, whatever it was, was being fought in Wakanda.

Diana looked at T'Challa again, who had unleashed the kinetic energy in his suit and subsequently blasted the aliens away. Then, Diana saw a red streak of energy pass over her, and she looked up to see a young woman in red fly through the air, then land in a ravine on the ground and expel red energy from her hands. Several aliens and a strange woman in dark green were blasted away, and the woman in green was promptly shredded by a large metal machine that whizzed by them.

Suddenly a man appeared in a flash of light, then glared at the battle around him. He was massive — more so than any human, and he was bald with purple skin. A massive chest piece covered his giant chest, but what really caught Diana's attention was the golden gauntlet on his arm. There were five stones on each knuckle and an empty space in the middle — presumably where a sixth stone was supposed to go.

Diana could feel the power radiating off the gauntlet — a sinister power that could only mean death. But, when she tried to run forward, she couldn't move. Her feet were seemingly rooted to the ground.

So she was completely powerless as T'Challa, the man he had been fighting with, the woman in red, and a few others came charging at the purple Titan. But then, fear filled Diana's body as the man easily fended off the other heroes before he grabbed T'Challa's head mid-leap and slammed it into the ground.

Diana couldn't stop herself from crying out, "No!" At her words, the Titan turned to her, a wicked grin spreading across his face before he raised his hand and snapped his fingers. Then, he disappeared in another flash of light.