25 - If At First You Don't Succeed...

THE NEXT DAY WAS THE TEST RUN FOR THE TIME HEIST

THE NEXT DAY WAS THE TEST RUN FOR THE TIME HEIST. Diana stood next to Steve and Raevanna, who stood next to Natasha and Bruce as Bruce fiddled with buttons on a panel. Scott was in his Ant-Man suit in front of his van, with the back now open to reveal the Quantum Tunnel. Diana was worried that things wouldn't go too well - without Tony, they really were leaving things up to chance. But he had already decided not to help, so they had to work with what they had. 

"Okay, here we go," Bruce said. "Time travel test number one. Scott, fire up the uhhh... the van thing."

Scott nodded and opened up the portal. Diana stared, impressed that he could hold such a powerful force in the back of a van. 

"Breakers are set, emergency generators are on standby," Steve told Bruce. 

Bruce nodded. "Good. 'Cause if we blow the grid, I don't wanna lose Tiny here in the 1950's."

The five of them gave Bruce a panicked look at his words. 

"Excuse me?" Scott said.

Natasha smiled at Scott. "He's kidding," she assured him, then said to Bruce in a hushed tone, "You can't say things like that!"

"Just..." Bruce trailed off. "It was a bad joke."

"You were kidding, right?" Raevanna whispered to him.

"I have no idea," Bruce whispered back. "We're talking about time travel here. Either it's all a joke, or none of it is." Looking at Scott, he gave him a thumbs up and said loudly, "We're good! Get your helmet on, Scott. I'm gonna send you back a week, let you walk around for an hour, then bring you back in 10 seconds. Makes sense?"

Scott shrugged. "Perfectly not confusing."

Steve nodded at Scott. "Good luck, Scott. You got this."

Scott stood a little straighter, smiling at Steve. "You're right. I do, Captain America."

At those words, Bruce pressed a button, and Scott disappeared into the Quantum Tunnel. 

A few moments passed, and then Bruce said, "On the count of three. 3... 2... 1!"

He pressed the button again, but much to their surprise, someone else in the Ant-Man suit came back. The helmet opened to reveal a teenager instead of Scott. 

"Uh, guys?" the teenager said. "This... this doesn't feel right."

"What is this?" Steve asked.

Bruce frantically pushed another couple of buttons, trying to fix the problem. "What's going on?" he said. 

"That..." Natasha shook her head, pointing to the teen. "Who is that?"

"Hold on," Bruce said, obviously panicking. 

"Is that Scott?" Diana asked.

"Yes, it's Scott!" the teenager insisted.

All of a sudden, teen Scott was sucked in back into the quantum tunnel, only for an old man in the Ant-Man suit to come out of it.