Chapter 2 "Progressions"

Athena's Point of View

I had just finished my first three periods for the day. Once the bell rang for the break, I made my way to the computer labs to find Damian, on my venture, I met him half way, and we both made our way to find Cassandra in the quad for lunch.

"Over here." I heard the familiar voice of Cassandra call to us as we entered the quad. Damian and I seated ourselves next to each other at the table, across from Cassandra herself, a boy and another girl I was not familiar with. "Athena, this Paisley and Hunter. Hunter, Paisley, this is Athena, you might know her, she attended Forest Haven High last year." Cassandra enlightened them. "Hey guys." I smiled brightly and then continued, "I don't think we've met before, but it's nice to meet you anyway." "Like wise." Said Hunter. "Cassie has been talking about you all day, I think she might have a little crush on you." Paisley added nudging Cassandra lightly as Cassandra gave her a death stare. Everyone at the table laughed in unison. "That's not true! Unless you want it to be true." Cassandra said jokingly. "Well..." I started before Damian cut me off. "Unfortunately for you Cassandra, Athena is very straight." Damian said smirking at Cassandra. "How would you know?" I asked him. "Wait so you're not straight." Damian asked shocked. "I mean you never know, I like to keep an open mind." I said seriously and everyone seated at the table was colored shocked. "Look at your faces." I said, laughing ecstatically. "I got all you, especially the two of you." I said pointing at Cassandra and Damian. "Stop playing like that Thena, you're breaking hearts." Damian said laughing. "Which reminds me, can we go talk somewhere?" Damian asked more seriously. "Sure, excuse us, guys." I said as Damian and I stood up from the table to look for a place a little more private.

Once we found a suitable location, we sat down and made ourselves comfortable. "Is this about us dating, me breaking it off, and now that I'm back, you don't know where our friendship stands." I half asked, half stated. "Exactly." Damian laughed awkwardly. "Look Damian, you know I love and care for you deeply, but honestly, us dating in the first place, was not a good idea. Our timing was off, and now that I think about, I confused my feelings about you. Yes, I love you and care for you more than anyone else, but only as friend." I said and waited for response from Damian who sat in silence. After a few moments of awkward silence, he cleared his throat before finally speaking. "Athena, I'm glad you said that. Your friendship is something I cherish, and I wouldn't want it to end because of misinterpreted feelings. I think the reason I got them confused in the first place was because I feared losing you as a friend, because you were moving so far away and I thought that if I was something more, we wouldn't drift apart." Damian told me honestly. "Dami, you will always be my friend, not matter the distance, you're like a brother to me, and I couldn't bear to lose you." I said with a sad smile. "You mean the world to me Athena, and I'm sorry if I complicated things, I hope everything can go back to the way it was." Damian said hopeful. "No need to apologize Dams, I also had a part to play, and I would love it if we could just forget everything that happened and just move forward." I said, staring at Damian intently "I love the sound of that." Damian said pleased. "Then its settled." I said with finality.

"Before I forget, I have to tell you something." Damian said as we both stood up making our way back to the rest. "What is it?" I asked with interest. "So, I've being seeing this girl, it's still very new." He said shyly. "Oh my god, Dams, I have to meet her!" I said enthusiastically. "You kinda have." He said shrugging his shoulders. "Cassandra is gay, so that leaves.... PAISLEY!" I shouted at the realization. "Damian, I'm so happy for you." I said beaming with excitement. "Thanks, but like I said before, it's still very new, so chill okay?" he said smiling at my enthusiasm. "I'll try my best, but I make no promises." I said as we reached the table we were once seated at.

"All good, guys?" Cassandra asked us and we both answered in unison, "All good." Damian sat in his original place, but I stood firmly on the ground. "Paisley, would you like to sit here?" I asked her and gestured towards the spot next to Damian. "So, I guess that means he told you?" she asked laughing lightly. "It does." I said in return, as Paisley made her way over to the spot next to Damian and I took my place in her previous position, next to Cassandra. "Keep your hands to yourself." I told Cassandra playfully. "Only if you promise to do the same." She said coy, as rest laughed at our banter. After a few minutes, the bell rang to signal the end of break. We made to our respective classes, with Cassandra and I walking together as we were in the same Math class.