Chapter 10 "The Talk- Part 4"

Athena's Point of View

The next morning, I awoke to the sun beaming brightly on side of my face, my head resting on the center of Cassandra's chest. I fluttered my eyelids in response to the sudden burst of sunlight. I got up from the bed in such a way that I didn't disturb Cassandra from her slumber. I left the room ever so quietly, closing the door gently behind me. I ventured downstairs to make coffee for the both of us, once I had completed my task, I went back upstairs, coffee cups in either hand.

I entered the room in the same manner that I had left it, only this time, I found Cassandra awake, sitting up straight in the bed. "Morning." She greeted. "Perfect timing, I made us coffee." I said with a smirk. She gratefully accepted it. The rest the morning we talked, and I gathered my thoughts on what I would say to Derek when we met later that day. Around 12, we got ready and left shortly after to meet Derek and Amelia at the coffee shop on the corner of the street.

When we arrived, we spotted the pair of them sitting in the corner awaiting our arrival. We seated ourselves across from the two of them, with Cassandra in Amelia's direct eyeline, and Derek in mine. "Hey." I said and they all responded respectively. "Should we get down to business?" I asked and they were all in agreement.

"First and foremost, I really appreciate you coming all this way to make things right with me in person, when you could simply have done it over the phone, it shows growth and maturity on your part." I said, Derek smiled at my kind sentiment. "My feeling for you however, has not changed. I don't want to be with you." I told him honestly. "Can I at least have a chance to make argument for myself, before you make your mind up about me?" he asked. "Sure, but I don't see how it will change anything." I said and Amelia reached for my hands, "Please have an open mind, just give him a chance." She asked of me. "Fine." I agreed. "After you left, I wasn't myself. I was broken, miserable, dejected." He said looking me in the eyes. "I wasn't living my life, I was just existing. I would mope around school every day." He continued. "It's true, he was an absolute mess." Amelia added causing us all to laugh. "But seriously though, I was. I really couldn't be me, without you, I didn't want to be." He paused and then continued, "I felt guilty for my actions that led you to leave, I knew that I needed to own up to my mistakes. And that's why I'm here, I'm sorry for not fulfilling your expectations, for hurting you, for breaking your heart, I'm sorry for being an asshole. I don't expect you to forgive me immediately, but I hope that someday you will, because this means everything to me, and I'd rather have something than nothing at all." he said truthfully, which caused me to shed a tear.

"Are you ready to order?" said a waitress expectantly. "Yes, I'll just have a black coffee, please." I informed her, she jotted down as the rest gave their orders, and left the table. "Look Derek, I appreciate you saying that, I really do and honestly I'm over the heartbreak you caused me, I am. But it does not change my decision, we can't be together, and I'm not coming back." I stated with no intention of hurting him. "Is it because her?" he asked pointing in the direction of Cassandra. "No!" exclaimed a little irritated. "Why do you both think that the reason that I don't want to be with you is because one another. It's not like that. I don't want to be with you because of me, I'm not ready for a relationship, I'm not equipped for it, and emotionally mature enough for it. It has nothing to do with the two of you." I confessed. "Then why were you kissing her Thursday night?" he asked not convinced. "Because I realized that I have feeling for her, I admitted to myself that I like girls, and the reason that I kissed her when I was drunk was because I liked her as more than a friend." I clarified. "You won't be with me, and you kissed her because you're gay?" he asked seeking approval. "No." I denied. "I kissed her because I'm attracted to girls, but that doesn't make me gay, I'm still attracted to boys. I don't want to be with you and go back because I'm happy here and my feelings for you have changed." I gave further clarification.

The waitress arrived with our orders, distributed it to each one of us and we kindly accepted it with thanks. I took a sip of my hot coffee before continuing once more, "Not disrespect to you Derek, I truly believe you have changed, I just don't believe the two of us are meant for each other anymore. I'm sorry you wasted your time and effort on me." I said sincerely. "If I hadn't had come out here, I would have never known your true feelings, and thank for your honesty, with this I'll finally be able to put my best foot forward, and move on." He voiced. "Awww guys, I'm so happy you two are being so mature about this, we all know what happened last time." Amelia reminisced. "Shut up Amelia." I told her playfully which caused her to chuckle in the unique way that she did. We finished our beverages and caught up on events that happened since I've been away. We laughed and smile and made the most of the little time we had together. When the hour grew later, Cassandra and I said our goodbyes to Amelia and Derek who were leaving the next morning.

And so, another chapter in the lives of Athena,Derek, Amelia and Cassandra drew to a close. Whatever life threw at them next,they would just close their eyes and enjoy the ride.