Chapter 4 "Meeting the Parents"

It was the middle of the day, exactly 2 weeks after Derek suggested his elaborate plan to win Athena back. Since then it was the only thing Derek thought of, well that and Athena herself.

Derek's Point of View

Exams were finally over, which meant I could focus on more important things to me, like Athena. Amelia and I decided we would go on a little field trip to Forest Haven, to correct some wrongs. That's if our parents agree, of course.

"Amelia!" I called her name as she was walking in the school grounds, "Wait up!" I called again and she stopped in her tracks. "Hey D" she said with a small smile. "I'm just gonna get right to it, okay?" I said more seriously. "Okay..." she responded laughing at my seriousness. "Have you thought about what I suggested?" I asked her, waiting for her response eagerly. "Wait a minute, you were actually serious, I thought we were spit balling, I didn't think you would actually go through with it." She said astonished. "I wasn't playing Amelia, I have to make things right with her, in person, it's the only way." I said. "How about a phone call?" she said with a little laugh. "Don't you think I've tried that, she won't take my calls, or even my texts, this is the only way I can tell her how I feel. Please Amelia, we have to do this, it's our only hope." I said rather desperate. "I want to do this more than anything, trust me, it's been agenizing watching you mope around school all day, but my parents, they'll never go for it." She said more seriously now. "How about I come to your house today after school, and we sit your parents down, and we talk about it?" I asked hopeful. "I mean it wouldn't hurt." She said pondering on the thought. "Then I'll see you later."

After school, I made my way to Amelia's house, optimistic as ever, hoping her parents would grant our wish, and I could finally make things right between Athena and I, with the help of Amelia.

I stood outside Amelia's and waited for someone to open the door, only a few seconds after I knocked, Amelia's mother opened the door with a smile on her face. "Please come inside." She said gesturing. "Thank you" I said gratefully, stepping into the house. "I'm Amelia's mother, Claire, please make yourself comfortable while I call Amelia and her father." She said kindly and disappeared for few moments, and reappearing after a short while with Amelia and her father. "Hello, you must be Derek, I'm Amelia's father, Vincent." Her father said offering a hand, I took it gratefully. "Nice to meet you Sir." I said shaking his hand firmly. "Please Derek, sit down." He said and I took a seat on the couch, Amelia next to me, her father and mother directly opposite us.

I cleared my throat before starting. "Mr and Mrs Anderson, I came here today to ask your permission for Amelia to accompany me to Forest Haven." I stated. "And why should we let our daughter go with you Derek?" her father asked. "See Mr Anderson, I messed up with Amelia's best friend Athena. I want to fix things, and the only way I can do that, is to go to Forest Haven, and have Amelia come with me so that I don't say or do anything stupid." I said. "His not wrong, he does do and say a lot of stupid things." Amelia said chuckling lightly. "Yes, and I promise to take care of her, and I'll make sure she checks in with you every day." I added. "Please, mom and dad." Amelia said looking between her two parents, for their approval. "She's my best friend, I miss her, I need to get her back. Not only for him, but for me as well." She added. "And how long will you be gone for, and where will you be staying?" her mother enquired. "Seeing though exams are over, I thought we could leave tomorrow, which is Thursday and come back Sunday afternoon. As to where we would be staying, I've already contacted my family there, and they'll be happy to host the both of us." I informed her parents. "Okay Derek, since you came here yourself to ask our permission, we'll allow Amelia to go with you." He father said after considering for a while. "Thank you Mrs and Mr Anderson, you have no idea how much this means to me. I promise I'll look after her." I said smiling broadly at their decision. "Could I also ask if Amelia could come home with me now to help me pack? I'll bring her back before it gets dark out." "I guess so, but before 6 please." Her mother said. "Shall we go then?" I asked Amelia who was seated next to me. "I'm ready if you are." Amelia said, and both stood up greeting her parents and making our way to the door.

Amelia and drove to my house. When we arrived, I pulled out a tog bag and flung open my cupboard door. I scanned my cupboard for a second, before pulling out a few outfits. "You're seriously not thinking of wearing that, are you?" Amelia asked with a tone of disgust. "What's wrong with it?" I asked confused. "Here, let me." She said grabbing the clothes, before throwing a few outfits together. "There, look, it's so much better now." She said after a while, clearly pleased with herself. "I admit, it isn't bad." I said. "Now pack it in." she said demanding, and I started to pack. "Derek." She said. "Yeah Amelia?" I asked. "Do you even know what you're going to say to her?" she asked with interest. "Honestly Amelia, I have no clue." I told her honestly. "Tell her the truth Derek, tell her how you really feel, be honest with her and yourself." She advised me. "Then that's what I'll do." I told her, and continued to pack. After about an hour of talking, I dropped Amelia at home to pack. The next morning, bright and early, I picked her up, she said her goodbyes and our quest began.