Chapter 5 "Party Things"

Athena's Point of View

As the weeks went by and the term progressed, Cassandra, the rest and I became closer each day. We would meet every break at our designate table which we sat at on the very first day. The term was soon drawing to a close, with the examination week now over. We all wrote our final paper, and I was headed to Cassandra's house after school, because she was hosting the annual end of year party, that evening.

"What do you think?" Cassandra asked, turning around in the tight fitted dress she just tried on. "Mmmm..." I said pondering, "It's not bad, it's definitely an option. Try on something else, we'll come back to it if we don't find anything better." I suggested and she pulled the dress over her head.  I couldn't help but stare at her slender, yet curvy body. She had curves in just the right places and her underwear hugged her body perfectly. As I continued to stare, Cassandra caught my gaze. "Shouldn't I be the one staring?" she asked a little surprised at my obvious staring. "I couldn't help it, I mean you're just so...." I began and she watched me intently. "Perfect." I finished, and she smiled at my kind words. "If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're crushing on me." She said laughing whilst trying on a new outfit. "You gotta stop playing like this Thena." She said again, making me blush.

"So, did Damian say when he was coming?" I said quickly changing the topic, the previous one causing me discomfort. "He said he'll be here soon, he texted not too long ago." She informed me. "That's good, we need some man power to help with the set up." I said with a little laugh. "I don't know of how much help he'll be, Paisley and he broke up today." She said with a hint of sadness in her voice. "Whaaaat?! No way, they looked absolutely fine this morning, when did this even happen?" I asked shocked at the revelation. "After school I guess, that's why I was held up after school, I was talking to Paisley." She said. "Well that sucks, they were so good together." I said still coming to terms. "How about this?" Cassandra asked turning around once more in a new outfit. "I'm not loving it, I think you should stick to your first choice, it's definitely an eye catcher." I told her honestly. "Well, it is a skin tight black dress, it's bound to catch the eye." She concluded laughing. Our attention was caught by the doorbell coming from down the hall. "That must Damian and Hunter, I'll get it." Cassandra said exiting the room.

Derek's Point of View

"How long still?" Amelia whined next to me. "Just another hour or so, then we'll reach my aunts place." I informed her knowingly "Another hour? That's torture, I'm really starting to regret my decision coming with you, I could have been in bed right now." Amelia complained.  "Like you said before she's your best friend, and this is important, we need to get her back without any complications." I told her and she responded with a heavy sigh. "Here," I said handing Amelia her phone, "Read, play a game, go on social media or something. Please God just do something, as long as it's not complaining, I don't mind." I said and she rolled her eyes taking the phone out of my grasp. After a few moments of silence, Amelia began to speak again. "Derek look!" she said gesturing to her phone. "As much as I would love to look, I gotta keep my eyes on the road Amelia." I told her. "Apparently there's going to be this end of year party tonight, it's expected to be big, everyone seems to be going and I bet Athena will be there too." She explained. "Do you really think that a party is the best setting for this type of conversation?" I asked her. "You don't have to discuss everything there, you can just show up, and let her know why you're in town." She said simply. "Fine, we'll go to the party." I told her, and by her reaction, she seemed happy about it. "When we reach my aunts, we can rest, freshen up and then head to the party." I informed her and she agreed.

Later that day...

Athena's Point of View

It had been a couple of hours since Damian and Hunter had arrived to help set up for tonight's festivities. It was starting to get dark out, and Cassandra and I began to get ready. I decided on some skinny jeans, with a white laced crop top, to look casual but still look good at the same time. After about hour of getting done, guests started to arrive. The party was open invite, so pretty much anyone could come, if they we willing to pay 10 bucks at the door.

Drinks were flowing, conversations were brewing and the mood was set. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, everyone except poor all Damian. I walked over to where he sat silently on the couch. "Dams, take this." I said handing him a drink. "You certainly look like you need it." I told him and he accepted it. "I can't believe she dumped me Thena, I really liked her." he said sadly, taking a sip from his cup. "I'm so sorry Damian, maybe it's for the best, maybe you weren't meant to be together." I said trying to comfort him. "But moping around is not gonna get you anywhere Dams, so get up, and join in on the fun." I commanded him. "Fine, I'll do it just for you." He said standing up from his position. "That's all I ask." I added before he disappeared into crowd.

"Athena!" I heard Cassandra call me from the kitchen. "Coming!" I yelled back, making my way to her into kitchen. "What's up?" I asked her, arriving in the kitchen. "You have to try this." She handed me a cup. I took a whiff of the drink, and it smelt pretty strong. "Dude, are you trying to kill me?" I asked her jokingly. "No, I'm just trying to get you little drunk." She told me, a mischievous smile creeping on her face. "In that case..." I started before downing the drink smoothly. "Woah slow down, I said drunk, not dead." She said laughing. I rolled my eyes at her comment. "Let's go dance." I told her grabbing her hand and dragging her to the center of the living room.

Derek's Point of View

"Amelia come on!" I shouted from outside the bedroom door. "What are you preparing for a fashion show?" I stated and I could hear Amelia groan loudly, finally opening the door. "Hey, this sort of perfection takes time." She said gesturing toward herself. "Whatever, could we just leave already." I said irritated by her stalling. "Fine, you better not be this grumpy when you see Athena, she'll never take you back." She spat. "I'm only like this when I'm with you." I spat back. "I must be special." She added, grabbing her things and making her way downstairs, myself following in suite. "You are, mentally." I commented and she turned and punched me on the arm. "Ouch, I'm kidding okay. I called us an Uber, it should be here any minute now." I informed. "That's good thinking, knowing us, we'll probably get wasted." Amelia said and I shrugged my shoulders. "The Uber's outside lets go."

The rest of the ride Amelia and I sat in silence, mostly because I was thinking of what I was going to say when I finally saw Athena again for the first time in months. Before I knew it, we arrived at our destination. We paid our fee and before entering Amelia faced me and asked: "You ready?" "As ready as I'll ever be" I replied unconvincingly and Amelia turned on the door knob.

Narrators Point of View

Athena dragged Cassandra to the middle of the living room. Both of them enjoying the sound of the music, and moving their bodies rhythmically. They turned to face each other, now face to face. They stared into each other's eyes intently, before Athena closed the space between them and planted a drunken kiss on Cassandra's lips.

Derek and Amelia made their way into the house. "Where am I going to find Athena amongst all these people." Derek asked Amelia. Amelia didn't reply immediately, causing him to face her. "I think I found her." She pointed in shock towards the center of the living room. Derek looked in the direction in which Amelia was pointing, only to find Athena kissing another girl.