CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX - Carnival

It took three weeks to get the entire population back on their feet. Outbreaks continued but once given medication, they were able to recover comfortably from home. While the rest of the world was on government mandated lockdown in their homes, the citizens Haven had no such luxury. Every one was essential to the running of Haven and they still had to continue their training. For a while, however, Lord Frost encouraged lighter training while the city recovered.

While the virus had proved to be contagious, it presented itself like a severe case of influenza in the worst cases. Grace and Timber had discovered that respirators were causing severe damage and they stopped treatment in time. The only casualty was a two hundred and fifty year old dwarf who was already at the end of his lifespan. The lighter training kept the people who were recovering from comprising their immune systems again.

On the second weekend of April, Timber woke up to a sweet smell filling her nose as the sunlight reached her eyes. The air coming through the cracked bedroom window smelled like bananas, strawberries, various baked treats, and the overwhelming scent of pancakes being made. She opened her eyes and the first thing she saw was Renegade in the bed, laying on Henry's bare chest. Henry was awake and watching him sleep. Timber lifted her head and smiled lovingly at the sight in front of her. She Turned and yawned as she stretched her arms and legs.

"Good morning, Henry," said Timber. "How long has he been there?"

"Half hour," said Henry. "Do you smell the food being made?"

"Yeah," said Timber with a smile.

"The smell woke him up too. He was so excited he ran in here with his tail in the air. I got him back to sleep by putting on me and running my finger between his eyes a few times. He fell asleep again fifteen minutes ago."

"Do you think another ten minutes will be okay?" asked Timber.

"I think so," said Henry with a small smile. "I don't want to move him right now anyway. He's so cute and I don't get to cuddle with him very much. Hey, are you alright? You look a little pale."

"I'm sure I'm fine. I started feeling a little under the weather last night, but I'll be alright. You stay here and I'll go start breakfast."

"You didn't get the virus again, did you?"

"No. I already had it when everyone else did, remember? I just pushed through it because I had to."

"You sure you're alright?"

"I'll be fine," said Timber with a smile.

She put on her light robe and grasped the door handle.

"Hey Timber? Can I make a special request?" asked Henry. Timber turned around and looked at him in confusion. "Can you make banana pancakes?"

"You've never asked for those before," said Timber. "I've never even made banana pancakes. Can I ask why?"

"It's kind of an unofficial Haven tradition on the first day of the festival," explained Henry. "Louise made them every year. So did all of the other mothers. That's why most of what you smell right now is bananas and pancakes."

"Who am I to break tradition?" grinned Timber. "Go easy on me. I've never made them before."

So Timber went to the kitchen and began mixing her homemade pancake mix with eggs and bananas. Happy with the consistency, she put the batter on the pan and let them cook. She pulled out her bowl of strawberries and then flipped the pancakes. She switched off the stove and heard a happy squeak. She set the pancakes and strawberries on the table with the syrup and fresh orange juice that she squeezed the night before, as well as a chunk of uncooked bacon for Renegade. She just opened her mouth to call Henry and Renegade to the table when the puppy came running out of the room with Henry at his heels.