Twenty-Nine.

Vanessa's POV:

Before today, the five worst days of my life had been each of my children's births and this one day at work when I was feeling really ill and vomited in front of all my coworkers whilst doing a presentation. I couldn't look any of them in the eye for weeks. In regards to the birth thing, I know that they're supposed to be special and really the best days of your life, but that certainly wasn't the case for me. Firstly, I was eighteen when I had Jordie, mentally and physically unprepared for a child. I was exhausted when he finally arrived, having been pulled out by a midwife, and the pain was indescribable. Secondly, at Kymal's birth, his father was about as useful as a potato. We were still together at that point, though hardly, and all he did was sit in the corner of the room, watching me struggle to give birth to his son. Amalia and Cameron's births weren't so bad. I was more experienced by then and had Darius by my side the whole time. Neither of them took too long and I had an epidural for both so it was virtually painless. However, the actual births weren't what made these four days some of the worst of my life, it was what came afterwards. Sure, I loved my kids and I was grateful that they existed but they were annoying, needy, messy, disgusting, exhausting and, not to mention, a giant drain of money. Those four days were the start of eighteen years of work; work that I very rarely enjoyed.

So it was certainly a surprise for me to experience a day so bad that it ranked up there with those five awful days. But then again, my life had steadily been going downhill since Alex had come back into it, so why was I surprised?

The day started off as planned. Jordie and I were driving to Liverpool, where we, Alex and his wife would work out how we were going to announce his existence, and then do whatever it was we'd decided on. The mood in the car was very awkward. I was still very angry and annoyed with Jordie because of his little stunt two weeks prior, and he'd been very distant with me ever since. In the two weeks that'd passed, he'd only said single words or the odd sentence to me, and had locked himself in his room when Mike was over. Luckily for him, I'd given up on getting them to like each other so hadn't made them talk.

"Jordie, how far away does your phone say we are?" I asked. He ignored me.

"Jordie? You're lucky I'm even letting you come today so you may as well talk to me. You're already in enough trouble, so just save yourself the hassle and cooperate" I said.

I briefly saw him roll his eyes but chose to ignore it. "23 minutes."

"Thank you. See, that wasn't so hard." I replied. He responded by turning the radio on.

After around 23 minutes of driving, listening to terrible music and even Little Mix - ugh, just the thought of it disgusted me - we finally arrived at the house. I ordered Jordie to get out of the car to put the code in the gate, and he reluctantly obliged. As he punched the pin in, the gates opened and I started moving forward, through them. Jordie jogged after the car and banged on the window, making me stop.

"So you make me open the gate and then leave me, thanks." He muttered, irritated, jumping back into the car.

"It's not that far of a walk Jordie, I'm sure you could manage it."

"Yeah, and I'm sure you could manage to wait for me."

"Is it really that important to you Jordie?"

"No, it's just the principle."

"You're just making this into an unnecessary argument now." I said.

"No I'm not. It doesn't matter anymore, never mind." He replied, looking away.

I glared at my son and kept moving up the drive, eventually ending up at the square with the fountain in it. As soon as the car stopped, Jordie swung open the door and hopped out of it, leaving me to turn it off and lock up. I quickly removed my key and left the car, locking it on my way to the door. When I reached the doorstep, Jordie had already rung the doorbell and was stood waiting for someone to answer. Shortly after I got there, Alex opened the door.