Thirty-Eight.

Last Chapter: "We'll give you some privacy. Call a nurse if there are any problems and get yourself comfortable. It's going to be a long night."

Alex's POV:

We'd been in the hospital for hours and nothing had happened. It was almost as if her labour had stopped - Perrie was dilating very slowly and I felt incredibly sorry for her. The delivery didn't seem like it was making any progress, but she was still experiencing the pain. Gradually, it was getting worse too, and still she wasn't dilated enough for major pain relief.

We'd called our families to notify them of the situation. Some knew already, after hearing it on the TV, or after hearing it from someone who'd heard it on the TV. 

My parents lived in Portsmouth, which was a long drive away, so they'd agreed to come up the next day instead, in order to see their newest grandchild. My brother Christian and Perrie's dad had also both said that they would come up the next day but Perrie's mum had set off straight away to come to the hospital. Perrie's brother Jonnie had agreed to come with her, so he could look after the kids. As much as I trusted Jordie, I wasn't sure if it was safe, or even legal, to leave him overnight with the two toddlers. Perrie's sister Caitlin was also driving up to the hospital, as well as the Little Mix girls, who were travelling from London.

We were now waiting for Perrie's mum and her brother Jonnie to arrive so I could go home. There was no way I was leaving Perrie alone, but I needed to get back to the house to collect the things for the baby and prepare the kids for the new arrival. 

After a few more hours of watching Perrie experience contractions, there was a knock at the door. I went to open it and was greeted by Debbie and Jonnie. 

"Hi, come on in." I said, ushering them inside the room.

"How are you doing, Perrie?" Asked Debbie.

"Ok." She smiled weakly.

"Hi Perrie." Said Jonnie.

"Hi Jon." She answered.

"Alright, should we get going?" I suggested to Jonnie.

"Sure. Bye Perrie, good luck!" He said encouragingly, before following me out of the room. 

We talked as we walked, trying to keep a low profile in order to avoid any fans. It didn't take us long to get to the car and we jumped straight in, eager to get to the house. When we arrived, most of the lights were still on and I assumed that all three kids were still up. Locking the car, I walked up to the front door and unlocked it, leading Jonnie inside.  

"Jordie!" I called, hoping he would respond. Sure enough, the sound of footsteps became apparent and he entered the kitchen moments later.

"Hey, has she given birth yet?"

"No not yet, but I need to get the baby stuff. In the meantime, this is Jonnie, Perrie's brother. He's going to be staying here tonight to look after you guys, so you can get to know him now."

"Hi, I'm Jordie." He introduced himself.

"Jonnie, nice to meet you." 

I left the room and headed upstairs. We hadn't packed a baby bag yet because we clearly weren't expecting to have to go to hospital for another month. However, we had all the things we needed in the house, scattered all over the place. Firstly, I collected several baby-grows from mine and Perrie's bedroom, along with some dummies, before heading into our bathroom to collect the nappies and other toiletries. I shoved all of this into a bag along with other items and added a few things for Perrie: a change of clothes for when she left the hospital, some perfume and other things I thought she might want.