CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE - Shattered Heart

Henry and Renegade found her ten minutes later by the gate. She was in her wolf form, motionless and staring into the distance at nothing. Henry said her name but she did not respond. He put his son down and told him to stay put. Then he slowly approached his wife. He was risking injury by coming up behind her without her acknowledging him but when he touched her back her only movement was slow. She moved her ears so she could hear better behind her but that was all.

"It's time to go back," said Henry. Timber looked at him with dead eyes. "I know you're all out of tears and that's okay. We're here for you if you need us."

Timber didn't reply. She just picked up her son and brought him through the gates. She didn't pay attention to where she was going. She just wandered around with Henry behind her. She wandered to a part of town that she never went through and stopped in the doorway of an abandoned house.

"Timber?" said Henry. Henry approached her cautiously. Behind him was Lord Frost, who had followed the family out of curiosity. "Timber, why did you bring us here?"

Timber handed Renegade to him and looked at the front door. Lord Frost opened it and Timber walked inside. The house smelled familiar under the thick layer of brown-grey dust that covered every surface. Her brain flashed split second blurry images of what felt like long forgotten memories. Timber sniffed around.

"Henry, do not touch anything," said Lord Frost. "Timber, do you know where you are?"

Timber looked at him with one ear up, then toward the bedrooms and went to investigate. Her nose brought her to the smallest of the two rooms. It was just big enough for the bed and the dresser. Timber put her nose between the sheets and sniffed and split second memories flooded her mind. This was her bed. This was the old house that she lived in before her mother brought her out of the city. She looked under the bed and found a stuffed pink rabbit that was covered in a thick layer of dust. She picked it up and brought it to Lord Frost.

"Do you know where you are?" he asked again and Timber nodded and Turned.

"This was my house," said Timber, looking around. "This where Mom used to sit and read to me at night before I went to bed. She had a giant cutting board she would cut meat on for me. I slept in the bed in the back room. I remember... I remember, right before we moved out of the city. Mom and Dad got in a fight. I went outside. I heard him hit her. I went to get you."

"Your parents were fighting about Greg," said Lord Frost. "Your father joined his pack. Your mother was against it. She moved you away to separate them in an attempt to protect you."

"Why is it still empty?" asked Timber.

"Because it stands as a memorial for Elizabeth," said Lord Frost. "She was very well loved within the community. She was especially loved by the children whom she doted on frequently. Your mother was kind and never spoke ill about anyone. She was also powerful. Her agility was impressive. I have told you this before but what I have not told you was that your mother was also a Haven Soldier."

"What?" cried Timber.

"Yes," said Lord Frost. "Your mother, while kind, was not a person to cross. She was not strong physically in her human form but she was fast and agile and she had stamina. She was ruthless in combat. She was the first female soldier to join the ranks in a century because she was the first to withstand Jaci without cracking. The only person she was ever afraid of was your father. Unfortunately, that was her downfall. Your agility and speed are inherited from Elizabeth. Every good and wonderful thing about you, is a reflection of her."

"I had no idea," said Timber. "How would she have faired against Henry?"

"Not well as of now," said Lord Frost. "Last year, it would have been close. Elizabeth was no where near as strong as Henry but she was faster and her speed and reflexes would have played in her favor."