There Will Be Two

Hey it's me Katie it's been three months since you last heard from me.

I'm still contemplating on whether I should go back or not but I decided that today was the day to come up with a decision.

After all these months, each of the gang came and talked to me.

May told me that she had become class president and they picked her as the final spot on the debate team and that they would be going to nationals in a few weeks.

Darcy told me that her teacher put her with the Soc level of smartness in her grade. Her teacher also informed me she made the honor roll with all the socs.

She's the first ever greaser to accomplish that besides Ponyboy. And it's very clear to see her bump that is forming on her stomach.

I almost had a panic attack when I first noticed it. But she explained everything and told me she was going to find out the gender of the baby today.

The rest of the gang has told me all of their successes and everything that has happened.

I was standing there in my doctors room while Darry was with me.

He tried to talk and reason with me but I didn't know what to do.

He said to me with his eyes close to tears, "I'll do whatever you want just please stay. You're the only one for me, Katie. I don't care where we are I just want to be with you. I know that now and I will do anything if you stay...please don't go."

I said to him even though he couldn't hear me, "You know I have to leave."

I can't stay here not forever.

Seeing them and being with them throughout this long period as a ghost has been exhausting.

They all are slowly holding on to my life everyday scared they would all get the same call saying I am no longer alive.

They are my family and I love them.

But I have made up my mind on what to do and I think it's for the best.

I slowly closed my eyes and imagined my life through these twenty years and it has been wonderful.

When I opened my eyes, it was the person I wanted to spend with for eternity.

That person lifted their head smiling at me and said, "Katie..."

I smiled back and said, "Hi, Darry."

He grabbed me and held me in a tight hug. I could tell he missed me.

He said in such a hurry, "I am so sorry for everything that happened."

I gave him a confused look and asked, "What do you mean?"

He replied calmly, "Back at the Dingo you got in your car so fast and left. After that when I got a call from May saying you were where we are now I figured it was all my fault."

I gently put the palm of my hand on his soft left cheek and said, "It wasn't your fault. I was just jealous."

He looked surprised as I continued, "I was jealous of her and what she had."

He asked me, "What did she have?"

I looked in his eyes and kissed his cheek on the other side.

Then, I said to him, "She had you. You were her Superman, and I guess I wanted you to be mine."

He asked taken back, "Really?"

I slowly nodded my head as I sat up.

He then said, "Katie,...I love you."