The Final Goodbyes

Darcy's POV

I did not know how to wake up at all, maybe it's supposed to happen naturally.

I decided to visit Johnny the next morning and see how he was doing.

When I arrived in his room, his back and chest was burnt to death.

I gasped at the sight of all of Johnny's wounds and bloodshed.

Just then, I realized I didn't come along. As I turned around, Ponyboy and Two-bit we're behind me to visit.

They both walked on one side of his bed and were looking down at him.

Two-bit said, "Hey, Johnny."

I saw Johnny lightly smile as he realized who they were.

He then said, "Hey, y'all."

Two-bit then asked concerned, "How they treatin' you kid?"

Johnny then closed his eyes and didn't reply at all.

I got worried as I lightly put my hand on his head.

Two-bit then grabbed a newspaper he had with him and said, "Look uh they got your picture in the paper here for uh being a hero look at that."

He looked up at it but still didn't say anything and I felt really sorry for him.

Two-bit then said, "You can look at it later" as he put the newspaper away.

He continued as he asked, "You want anything?"

Johnny then looked at them and said, "The book, man, can y'all get me another one."

Pony then turned to Two-but and said, "Think he wants a copy of Gone with the Wind. So, I can read it to him."

They both looked at Johnny as Pony then asks, "Do you mind going downstairs and getting one?"

During the whole time out in Windrixville Pony was reading a book.

Johnny was interested and loved listening to him read it.

The book was Gone with the Wind.

Two-bit then said, "Nah, they got a gift shop downstairs. I'll go get it."

Ponyboy tried to strike up a conversation with him, "So I guess Dallas is going to be okay. Me and Darry were getting along real good now."

Johnny began to make weird and painful noises that could make you cringe.

Ponyboy got worried and asked, "Johnny are you okay?"

He then rested his back and said, "Oh, yeah. It just hurts sometimes. Usually all cause I can't feel anything below the middle of my back. Pretty bad off ain't I, Ponyboy?"

Pony was tearing up during the whole visit and said, "No you gonna be alright kid...you gotta be we couldn't get along without ya."

Johnny then pointed out, "I won't be able to walk again...not even on crutches doc said I busted my back."

Pony said to him, "Your gonna be fine I know you are."