Get Out

May's POV

I slowly walked to Katie's room because I wasn't able to sleep.

She had her lamp turned on and was sitting straight up looking at a photo book.

As I opened her bedroom door, the hinges lightly squeaked which caused her to look up.

She whispered to me, "Why aren't you in bed?"

I shrugged and whispered back, "I can't sleep."

She grab some of the covers, on the opposite side of the bed where she was laying, and threw them off the bed.

It made a large spot on the bed, and she patted it down for me to sit.

When I did, she looked me in the eyes and asked, "What's really bothering you, May?"

I tried not to cry and said, "Well, it's just that our dad came back a few months ago and hasn't left yet.

But he doesn't look like himself, I mean he's actually changed if that's him.

Is it?

She looked back at her memory book and turned the page.

It was a picture of all of smiling and laughing and our parents on the side.

Dad now has a beard and less hair and a really bad nose job.

I said to Katie, "I'm scared that that's not our dad."

She put her memory book in her dresser and said to me, "Like I told you earlier today, I will take care of it."

She then reached over turning off her lamp that mom had given to her on one of her birthdays.

Katie looked back at me and whispered, "Goodnight."

As I said it back to her, my eyes closed and for once I was able to fall asleep again.

Katie's POV

I was not ready for the next day.

I woke up to talking coming from downstairs there were two unfamiliar voices I can't remember.

I carefully got out of bed hoping not to wake May up from her sleep.

I then slowly walked down the stairs in my nightgown to see dad and a lady.

Dad looked and turned to me as the lady stopped talking.

He said, "Katie....look at you."

I looked at myself and said, "I've looked like this for awhile now but you wouldn't know that...Bryce."

Just in case you are wondering, Bryce is my dad's real name.

He's never actually been there for me so I'm going to stop calling him dad.

He introduced his lady friend, "Well, this is Susan. She's my agent at a local company."

She said a little loud and annoying, "And I'm his girlfriend."