Ch. 20

Wednesday took forever to get here. On Tuesday, mama wanted to spend time with Harlem while we were at work so Nicki dropped her off and I didn't pick her up until it was after 8pm. She came home with two shopping bags from Justice and a new pink teddy bear that she fell asleep with. Mama even gave her a couple twenty dollar bills. The first thing she did when she got home was put it in her piggy bank and then crawled into bed with the teddy bears. She was asleep before I finished reading her to bed. Nicki and I fell asleep on the couch because we stayed up watching movies until after midnight.

When I woke up, my neck had a cramp in it and Harlem was standing over me with a smile. Her hands were on her hips as she looked from Nicki back to me.

                                "Titi...get up. You're squishin' daddy." Harlem shook Nicki's shoulder and woke her up. Nicki rubbed her eyes and then pushed Harlem away.

                                "Go brush your teeth, stinky," Nicki mumbled and buried her face into my ribs. Harlem giggled and then ran upstairs. Nicki's arms were holding onto me tightly even though I tried to get up. I laughed and pulled her arms from my body.

                                "Get up girl, I gotta pee," I poked her side which made her jump up. By the time I made it upstairs, Harlem was running out of the bathroom and flying downstairs to see Nicki. I smiled as soon as Nicki's screams lingered upstairs from Harlem being a pest. They laughed until I came back downstairs in black jeans and a Lakers jersey. Nicki bit her lip, turned and went back into the kitchen with Harlem.

                                "Eat cereal if you're hungry. I'm goin' to shower and get her clothes."

                                "I wanna shower too Titi," Harlem put a spoonful of cereal in her mouth and stared at Nicki who shook her head. When she stood with her hands on her hips, I knew Eva wasn't the only reason Harlem did it too.

                "After you finish eatin'. Dress or shorts today?" Nicki asked as she turned to leave the kitchen. Harlem thought for a second before rolling her eyes.

                "I wanna pick my own clothes, Titi,"

                "Okay Harlem, eat your food. Eat something babe," Nicki insisted and then headed upstairs. Harlem rolled her eyes again and then took another bite.

                "You better stop rollin' yo eyes before they get stuck." I laughed when her mouth dropped and a few drops of milk hit the table. She scrunched her face up and then took another bite. Even though Nicki wanted me to eat, I didn't have an appetite. Going to Marisol's house wasn't gonna let me eat anything and keep it down knowing she killed Kat. I still didn't know why she killed her but it didn't matter. Kat didn't deserve to die. All she wanted was an oil change.

                When Harlem finished eating, she went upstairs and took over Nicki's shower. A minute passed in silence as I sat at the kitchen table by myself until Nicki came in with nothing but a towel wrapped around her body. She laughed when I couldn't tear my eyes away from her curves.

                                "Keep them pretty ass eyes to yourself, I'm just comin' to get a bottle of water." She closed the refrigerator with her hip and then scurried upstairs. I laughed and cleaned Harlem's bowl from the table and then went to kiss them both bye until after work. Harlem was putting on lotion and Nicki was sliding into black high waist jeans and a gray V-neck t-shirt. Her hair was wavy as it fell down her shoulders and she didn't have any makeup on. She blushed as I admired everything about her physically. Harlem entered the room wearing orange overalls that were designed into shorts and she wore an orange, gray and brown plaid shirt underneath. She held a comb and hair brush in her hand as she stood in front of Nicki.