Ch. 31

"Daddy, why we in a hotel? Does Titi know to come here?" Harlem sat in the bathtub with her hair soaking wet. She had bubbles covering her small body and a wide grin on her face. I didn't know what to tell her. So I handed her a cup full of water to rinse her hair out and nodded my head.

                "Yo Titi always knows where you at," I said the first thing that came to mind and before she could say anything, Marisol poked her head in the bathroom and smiled.

                "Pizza's here," she smiled again as Harlem did a small victory dance. Over the last few days, Marisol was more drawn to Harlem. Maybe it was because Nicki wasn't around and she was showing her more attention than I could give her. Or maybe I was starting to see the motherly look she always had in her eyes. My stomach fluttered when she walked in front of the tub and sat on the edge so she could help Harlem with her hair.

                "Did you shampoo and condition her hair?" she asked, sounding almost exactly like Nicki. It was hard pulling my eyes away from her because of how similar they looked. My chest was tight thinking about Nicki sitting in jail.

                "Uh, nah not yet."

                "Hand me the shampoo princess," Marisol spoke with a smile and when Harlem's smile reached her ears, Marisol smiled wider. Watching them made me think about Marisol not being able to have kids. It was easy to see why Nicki wanted to give her our baby. Marisol was naturally nourishing which made my head spin because she was so...unpredictable. The person I was watching bathe and wash my daughter's hair was not the same person that killed Kat.

                "How would you feel about a baby around here?" Marisol asked as she fingered the curls on Harlem's head with shampoo. I leaned closer so I could see Harlem. She scrunched her nose before turning her head to give Marisol a side glare. It was something I saw Eva do more than 1000 times.

                "A baby? For who?" Harlem tilted her head back and let Marisol massage her scalp.

                "Yeah, a baby. Nobody has one yet. But how would you feel if me...or Nicki or your daddy had a baby?"

                "No. No to Titi and no to daddy and...you can have a baby. But what bout me?" Harlem batted thick eyelashes at Marisol before glancing at me for a split second. She poked her bottom lip out and pouted with her arms crossed.

                "What do you mean what about you? You'll always be my favorite little Harlem. A baby won't change that,"

                "Well...okay, I guess. But no to my Titi cause she's MY Titi. When is she coming home?" Harlem's eyes had tears in them which meant she was about to throw a tantrum, again. Up until a few days ago, she hadn't thrown that many tantrums but the more days that passed without Nicki, Harlem was back to being Satan's spawn. She didn't want to do anything but wait for Nicki to call or walk thru the door and whenever she opened her mouth, it was almost always about her Titi.

                "How about we go eat dinner and maybe we can have ice cream after I do something to your hair. How's that sound?"

                "Ok but when is my Titi comin' cause SHE always does my hair." Harlem crossed her arms again and glared at Marisol. I stood up, which made them both turn their heads to look at me. When Harlem couldn't decide if I was annoyed with her attitude yet, she sighed.

                "Daddy. Is Titi mad at me?" she wiped her eyes and continued looking at me. My chest squeezed tightly. Marisol's mouth dropped a little.