Part Three

I had been so busy with getting the house in order, I almost forgot that I started my new job tomorrow. I had been in my new house for a week now, cleaning everything, and washing everything that needed washing. I was a bit nervous about tomorrow, I haven't worked for almost a year, I didn't know if I would be able to do it like I did before.

Jason had really broke my confidence when it came to just about everything. But, I was determined to take my life back. Ronnie and Michael had been stopping by almost daily since the day I moved in. I wasn't sure how to feel about either of them. Michael, I was fine around, he was so sweet and helpful. Ronnie, was another story. I felt intimidated every time he looked at me. His eyes were always so intense, it made it hard to look at him. Not that he wasn't sweet, he was, very much so. There was just something about him that made me uneasy.

There was a knock on the door and then it opened. "Syd!" I heard Ronnie call my name and moved to the doorway of the kitchen and smiled at him. "What is it that smells so good?" He shut the door and walked back to the kitchen.

"I'm practising. Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. Here." I turned around and grabbed one, handing it to him. "Try one."

He smiled as he took it and unwrapped it. He took a bite out of it, closing his eyes and moaning at the taste. I felt butterflies and I knew my face heated up. Even though I wasn't  completely comfortable with him, I was very attracted to him.

He opened his eyes and looked at me. "My God, that's amazing!" I smiled and ran my fingers through my hair. His smile faded as he looked at my forehead. He came closer and reached to touch it. I flinched away and pulled my hair back over it. Fuck. I didn't want anyone to see it. "What happened?"

I shook my head and looked away. "I don't want to talk about it." I started putting more cupcakes in the oven when he took the pan from me and turned me to face him.

"Syd. Talk to me." His eyes searched mine and I shook my head.

"There's nothing to talk about. I barely even know you, why would I tell you anything?" His hands dropped to his side's and he took a step back.

"You're right. Sorry for prying. The cupcakes were really good. Good luck tomorrow." He turned and walked toward the door.

"Ronnie. I'm sorry." He waved and walked out, closing the door softly behind him. I felt like a jerk. I shouldn't have snapped at him like that, but I wasn't ready to let anyone in, friend or not.

***************************

I walked to the front with my book and sat on the swing, gently swinging myself back and forth. I looked across the street as I heard the laughter and saw Ronnie and Michael walking out of the house. Michael waved, smiling at me. Ronnie didn't even look in my direction as they got in the car and drove away.

I sighed and continued to read until it was too dark to see anymore. I looked around, loving being here already. Loving being free of him. Now I had to relearn how to have normal friendships with people, how to let people in. I just wasn't ready yet.

I walked in the house and locked the door behind me. I walked through the house, checking the windows and the back door before heading upstairs. I changed and crawled into bed, wondering what tomorrow would hold.

*******************************

"How can I help you?" The lady behind the counter asked me.

"Hi, I'm Sydney. I'm here for a meeting with Carrie." She smiled.

"Sydney. We've heard all about you. Give me one second and I'll get her for you." She walked into the back room and I looked around. There were so many display cases, so many different flavors and deserts, I couldn't wait to dive right into it all.

"Sydney. I'm Carrie. It's so nice to finally you. Come with me." I followed her to an office off the kitchen and took the seat she offered me. "I wanted to go over some items with you. You know you'll be responsible for the menu's. I like to change things up at least once a month. Different baked good and deserts. I liked your ideas when we talked about maybe adding a lunch menu. I'd like to see what you can come up with first before we start that. We've already gone over pay and all that non interesting stuff." She laughed and I nodded.

"I've been working on it already." I took out a folder and handed it to her. "I was thinking just a light lunch menu. Maybe some kind of sandwich." I stopped talking while she looked it over. She put the folder down and looked at me smiling.

"I knew I made the right choice hiring you. This seems amazing. I'll tell you what. Go home. Bring one of each of these tomorrow and if they are as good as they look on paper, we'll start the lunch menu right away." I smiled and nodded.

"I can do that. Thank you so much for this. You have no idea how much you've helped me. I'll see you in the morning." We said our goodbyes and I walked out.

I made my way home and changed out of my dress clothes and into jeans. I debated about taking Ronnie up on his offer about a ride to the store, when I decided against it. Our last conversation didn't go so well, I was afraid he was still mad at me. That was one of my downfalls, I hated when people were upset with me, it frightened me to no end.

I walked out and started down the street to the store, when I heard a car pulling up next to me. I looked over my shoulder, my heart pounding, as the window rolled down. Ronnie smiled and stopped the car. "Where you going, Syd?" I stopped and looked at him.

"I just need to get a couple things from the store to make for work tomorrow." He nodded.

"Get in. I was heading to the store myself." I took a deep breath and walked to the other side of his white Porsche and climbed in. He looked at me and smiled before he started driving.

"Ronnie. I'm really sorry about yesterday. I'm not good at letting people in." I didn't look at him, I couldn't.

"I'm sorry, too. It's not my business. I'm just trying to be your friend. You seem like you could use one." I smiled and nodded.

"Yeah, I could actually. Thank you." He parked the car and we walked into the store. I took out my list and we walked around the store getting all the stuff I needed.

"So, how did today go?" I put some bread in the buggy and looked at him.

"It went really good. Carrie is talking about maybe adding a lunch menu, we had talked about it before. I gave her my ideas and she wants to try them. I have to make five different items and take them to her in the morning. I hope she likes them." He looked at me like he was impressed.

"Well, if they are anything like your cupcakes, they will be amazing."

We checked out and made our way back to the house. He pulled into my driveway and helped me take everything into the house. "I thought you needed stuff from the store." I started unpacking everything as he stood there, leaning against the frame of the door.

"I didn't. It was just excuse to take you. Have a good night, Syd." He turned and walked out and I was left wondering why he would do that. Why would he want to take me? I shook my head and dived into my work.