2.

I am a coward.

I thought I could do it. I'd even pictured it in my head numerous times, how I'd sit both of my parents down and just tell them that I am dating someone, have been for over three years now, and that my lover happens to be a guy.

Now here I am, in what could become the right time to come out, but I have a feeling it's not going to turn out like it should.

"When are you moving back in, dear?" my mom asks me, after dinner.

I clear my throat and stretch my lips into what I hope will pass off as a decent smile.

"I ... haven't decided yet."

"What do you mean? The semester is almost over. Surely you can't be living on campus for much longer."

"Your mother's got a point. Besides, you'll start work soon, so you should come back home. It's the closest to the office." my father reasons.

My palms feel itchy all of a sudden and I rub them against my jeans-clad knees. The friction doesn't help ease the itch, more like intensifies it. I guess I'm that nervous.

"Actually, I was ... thinking about sharing an apartment."

"With who?"

This is where my courage falters completely.

"P'Arthit, my ... senior from university."

I know my father likes him, luckily my boyfriend left him a good first impression, so I don't expect him to be against it.

"You guys must really be close friends. No wonder you begged me to help his company when they were in a tough spot."

"But it's odd that I've never heard you talk about this senior of yours before that incident." my mother adds.

"I guess I ... didn't get the chance to mention him in our conversations." 

"Do you need help with moving your stuff? Is the apartment even spacious enough for the both of you?" my father wants to know.

"Don't worry, dad. I'll be fine. P'Arthit said he'll lend me a hand."

"Does he have a girlfriend?" my mom asks.

It's so sudden that I almost drop the glass of water I'd been holding. I place it awkwardly on top of the glass coffee table before I reply with another question, out of lack  of a proper answer.

"I ... um ... why?"

"Because he might want his girlfriend to move in with him in the future and when that day comes, you'll have to pack your things and come back home. You wouldn't want to be the third wheel, would you?" 

"Yes, sure. Of course not ..." 

Desperate to change the subject, I veer the talk towards a different topic.

"Mom, can you pack some of the leftover food? I want to take it back with me at the dorm."

"You sure love my cooking, don't you? You must've missed it these past four years while you were living away from home." my mother laughs.

"Um ... yes."