Fighting

CRRAK!

The earth rumbled under Hope's feet. Sweat streamed down her back as she sidestepped her sparring partner's fire blast. She shook the earth under her harder, in an attempt to distract her partner. She stomped her foot hard, and the ground under her partner suddenly became unstable. He sank in the earth floor up to his chin. The teacher, who was busy examining the footwork of a pair on the other side of the arena, rushed over. The teacher quickly earthbended Hope's sparring partner out of the ground and declared Hope the winner. Hope wasn't surprised. She always won.

-()-()--()-()--()-()-

"Hope, come over here." The sparring teacher, Mr. Grayson, didn't look angry, but Hope still felt butterflies in her stomach. Had she been too rough on the last student?

"Mr. Grayson, what did I do wrong this time?" Her voice carried more than a hint of sarcasm. Hope never did anything wrong in class- though she was far from being a goody two shoes.

"Nothing, I'm just curious. Darius, the last kid you sparred, was the second best in the class. How have you defeated everyone, even my star pupil?" Even though Hope knew she wasn't in trouble, she felt even more nervous now. She didn't have a good answer to the teacher's question.

"I don't know, instinct?" She replied to the teacher's question casually, even though her hands were clearly shaking.

Before the teacher could ask her another question, she left. Even though her encounter with the teacher had been brief, she carried around a feeling of dread.

Little did she know her life was about to change.