The Question, Part 2

Hope slowly felt her strength come back. As soon as she was sure she could bend, she bent her metal chains away and made her way to the door, keeping her hands on the wall just in case she collapsed. 

As soon as the door opened, however, she was greeted by a semi-youthful lady.

"Hello, my dear," she growled menacingly. Hope held her breath as the lady carried her by the collar of her torn shirt all the way to a place that appeared to be a meeting room.

At the meeting room, Hope was forced to turn towards a crowd of people.

"Finally, the Answer is ours!" she announced triumphantly.

"And for those who have forgotten the Question, here it is: How can a world where some can bend and most can't be balanced?" 

Everyone in the crowd shouted "ENERGYBENDING!" at the same time. Hope shivered. The word "energybending" brought up scary memories.

The middle-aged woman continued. "That's exactly right! My closest followers and I shall receive energybending and use it to spread bending across the world! And how shall we receive energybending? Why, I've already thought of everything!"

Her followers replied, "Thank you, Mother!"

The Mother ignored this outburst of affection and went on. "Here before you is the Avatar, who will willingly give me energybending! And if she doesn't right now, she has 48 hours to do so before we force her! So, dear, what will you do?"

"Can I think about it? I don't really know what energybending is. I need to contact my past life." Hope said, still scared of this strange woman. But their cause seemed to be justified.

Everyone in the crowd looked disappointed, and they soon dispersed.

Once the room was empty save for The Mother and Hope, The Mother began to talk.

"I know I said 2 days, but you must respond by midnight tomorrow. It would be a shame if your parents were to die." Hope's eyes widened. Her parents! They were probably worried sick about where she was. They were innocent, and they definitely did not deserve to die.

"Your room is just down the hall. Oh, and by the way, it's noon already. You might want to get started."