7. Easter Break

The next month passed smoothly, with Harry and Hermione working as much ahead as possible so that they'd have time to explore Potter Manor. Hermione had arranged for them to spend Easter break with her parents, claiming that they wanted to get to know Harry better anyway. They also were taking the week off of work. They had met briefly in Diagon Alley while shopping for supplies for their second year at Hogwarts. They agreed to visit his mansion the morning after they arrived so that they'd know what shape the mansion is in, and if he needed to buy anything to make it livable before school got out for the summer. It was now dinner time on the day before the Hogwarts Express took the students home for the break. Hermione and Harry were eating in the Great Hall when a first year Gryffindor girl who was staring at Harry walked up to them and shyly said, "Er, Professor Dumbledore told me to give you this note."

She handed the paper to Harry, and their hands touched as Harry said, "Thank you very much," causing the girl to go completely red in the face and run to the other side of the table.

Hermione chuckled, "It looks like I've got some competition."

Harry, who was taking a drink of pumpkin juice, started coughing. "Competition? What do you mean?"

"Isn't it obvious?" said Hermione with a smile on her face. "She's got an even bigger crush on you than Ginny Weasley."

He chuckled remembering Ginny putting her elbow in the butter dish at her house. "At least she didn't send me a singing Valentine."

She giggled at that. "What's the note say?"

Harry unrolled the parchment and read it out loud.

"Dear Harry,

I request both yours and Miss Granger's presence in my office after dinner.

Yours sincerely,

Albus Dumbledore"

"I wonder what this is all about," said Hermione.

"I guess there's only one way to find out."

Fifteen minutes later, the two of them were facing the gargoyle outside of Dumbledore's office. At the mention of 'Mars Bars,' the statue moved, revealing the staircase. They quickly made their way up the stairs and knocked on the door.

"Come in, come in," said the voice of Professor Dumbledore.

They opened the door and the aged wizard indicated two chairs in front of his desk. They quickly sat down and faced him. Harry spoke first. "Sir, are we in some sort of trouble?"

Albus chuckled. "No, no. Of course not. This is about your Easter plans."

"My Easter plans?" asked Harry.

"I understand that you're planning on spending the break with Miss Granger at her house."

"Yes, sir," said Hermione. "Why?"

Dumbledore put on his most grandfatherly face, placing his palms on the table and facing them both. "I'm afraid I must recommend that Mr. Potter stays here for the break."

"What?" said both Harry and Hermione together.

"I'm afraid that with Sirius Black on the loose, the castle is the safest place to be."

"Like the Dursley's house?" asked Harry, failing in his attempt to disguise his anger.

Dumbledore looked in Harry's eyes. "Yes, I'm afraid so."

"But you can't sir!" said Hermione. "Isn't Harry ever allowed to enjoy himself?"

Dumbledore took a deep breath. "I'm sure that he can find a way to entertain himself here at Hogwarts. Perhaps he could find someone to play chess with."