40. Rescuing Hermione

Harry woke up early on the morning of the second task. He'd had a nightmare about Jaws. He wished he'd waited to watch that movie until after the second task was over. Hermione had been called away from him the night before while they were watching the movie together in the common room on his computer, and she hadn't returned by the time he went to bed. He got dressed and walked downstairs into the common room. He looked around for Hermione and noticed Ginny looking at him with an expression he couldn't identify on her face. She walked up to him, looking uneasy.

"Er, Harry. Can I talk to you alone?"

He regarded his friend with a puzzled expression. "Well, I guess so."

Without a word, she grabbed his hand and pulled him out of the common room and into the nearest classroom. She then turned to face him, her face red with embarrassment. "Er, well, I know it's none of my business, and I wouldn't have said anything, um, but Parvati and Lavender both noticed that Hermione didn't come to her bed last night."

Harry looked worried. "What?"

Ginny looked at the floor and continued. "I know you and Hermione are in love, and I'm sure Hermione took the, um, precautions, but you can't just...I mean you'll get in trouble, maybe even expelled if McGonagall finds out you're, well, spending your nights together." She said that very fast with a look that clearly said she was uncomfortable. "I mean maybe, with the task today you wanted, er, to relieve stress, but..."

"Ginny," said Harry with a concerned tone of voice, "are you saying that Hermione didn't come back to your dorm at all last night?"

Ginny looked back up at Harry, and appeared to be angry. "No. Did you expect her to just leave when you were done with her?"

Harry shook his head. "You misunderstood. Hermione did not spend the night with me. While we were in the common room, McGonagall asked Hermione to leave with her. She hadn't come back before I went to bed. We did not spend last night shagging."

Ginny paled. "Oh my...I'm sorry...it's just when she didn't come...Lavender said she last saw Hermione with you and we sort of..."

"Assumed," said Harry coldly. "So then she's missing? I've got to find her. Er, bye."

"I...I'm sorry I..."

"You were just trying to help, Ginny. I'm not mad at you, and I won't tell Hermione."

Ginny muttered, "Thanks," as he ran out of the room and back to Gryffindor Tower, leaving her behind.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good," Harry said as he activated his map. He looked everywhere he thought she could be, the dorms, the girls' bathrooms, the library, etc., but still couldn't find her. He wasn't sure if the map showed the Room of Requirement or not, so he rushed down the stairs to check that room. When the portrait hole opened, he was surprised to see Lupin there, standing with Ginny, who slid past Harry with a relieved look on her face.

"Harry," said Lupin, "Ginny told me that Hermione's missing."

"Yes," said Harry hurriedly, "Can you help me find her? I was about to check..."

"That won't be necessary," said Remus. "This morning Professor McGonagall told Padfoot and me that Hermione is taking part in the second task."

He stopped dead, his face turning red with fury. "We've taken what you'll sorely miss," he quoted. "They're right I'll sorely miss Hermione but I swear to God that if she gets hurt I'll tear Dumbledore limb from limb for putting her at risk! Then the school will sorely miss its headmaster!"