37. Truth Is Our Only Weapon

"I think the first thing we need to do is have a meeting with Mrs. Weasley to discuss our options," said Harry. "I think that Fudge has been controlling the Daily Prophet for a long time, and I'll bet we could find evidence of it to expose."

"I think we should run a background check on this Delores Umbridge. If she's the editor, she must be in Fudge's pocket," said Hermione. "We should also run an article that points out the fact that most important news stories involve the government, and if the government controls the news, people will only read articles written to make the government look good."

"Well, I'm going to ask Dumbledore if we can have Mrs. Weasley floo here and have dinner with us. I want to use this situation to show what a complete fool Fudge is. Maybe we can write the truth about how he handled the Chamber of Secrets by simply arresting someone who had a bad record, and how he sent Dementors that almost killed me to the school looking to kiss a man who had never had a trial."

"I'll bet there's a lot more we can find on Fudge! He was friends with Lucius Malfoy! I'm sure it'll be easy to expose the lie he'd told after Lucius was arrested," said Hermione. "The only way to fight this pack of lies is with the truth! But if we want to have this in tomorrow's paper, I don't think we can wait until dinner. I think, and I can't believe I'm saying this, you should ask if you can be excused from classes to handle your business affairs and floo over to the Potter Press headquarters. I'll let you copy my notes."

Harry looked uncertain. "Ok, I'll ask, but I'm not sure if he will."

Harry walked up to the head table to see Dumbledore chuckling as though he were reading a comic strip. Harry looked to see he was reading Fudge's interview. The Headmaster noticed Harry and said, "Good morning Mr. Potter. What can I do for you? I expect it has something to do with Minister Fudge's propaganda paper."

"Er, yes sir. I wanted to request that I can miss the rest of my classes today and be allowed to floo to my newspaper's headquarters to help coordinate our response."

Dumbledore looked thoughtful for a second. "School is supposed to train you for a professional career. Since you already have one as a newspaper owner, I believe that should take priority. Take the rest of the day off of Hogwarts to deal with this crisis, and it is a crisis if the ministry gains control of news. You may floo from my office once lunch is over. Miss Granger is welcome to join you if she wishes. I shall make certain your professors are informed."

Harry walked back to the table and told Hermione what Dumbledore had said. She closed her eyes in deep thought for a few seconds. "This is more important than a few classes. I've already read the chapters we're covering anyway. We have to respond immediately to this."

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Fifteen minutes later, Harry, and then Hermione, stepped out of a fireplace to look, for the first time, at the headquarters of the Potter Press. They were near the entrance to the building, and saw people running back and forth carrying briefcases. Aside from the pace at which the witches and wizards were walking around, the room seemed unremarkable. They saw a circular desk in the center of the room with a blonde-haired witch who looked frazzled as she kept writing memo after memo and enchanting it to become a paper airplane and fly to the recipient.

"Hello," said Harry, "I'd like to speak with Mrs. Weasley."

"So would everyone else," she said without looking up.

"This is important," he said, taking a breath.

"Everyone says its imp....Oh Mr. Potter," she said as she looked up and saw his scar and immediately came to attention. "Sir, I apologize. She should be in her office on the next floor. Would you like me to escort you there?"