31. The First Task

The next morning came all too quickly for Harry. Even though he had a strategy for defeating the dragon, he was nervous. After their morning classes, he started walking to lunch with Hermione, Neville, and Ginny. Before they got to the Great Hall, Hermione told the other couple, "You go on ahead; we'll see you at the table."

Ginny winked and said, "If you get there in time for breakfast."

Neville said, "Make sure Harry can still think when you're done with him. He does have to battle a dragon today."

After they left, Harry said, "What's wrong? I know they just think you want to snog, but I can tell something's bothering you."

She looked uneasy, "I was just thinking that that Skeeter woman will probably be here today."

Harry looked concerned at his girlfriend. "I guess I should've realized that this would bother you. All of my life people have been saying bad things about me, whether it was the Dursleys calling me a freak or half the school calling me the heir of Slytherin. I guess I've gotten used to it. As long as you think well of me, I don't care what anybody else says. I'm sorry that she dragged you into this, and I'm sorry for being so insensitive to you. You felt you'd been publicly humiliated and all I had to say is not to touch the letters."

"I'm not mad at you, Harry. I'm mad at Rita Skeeter for all the lies she prints about people."

"Maybe we can sue her or the Daily Prophet for libel," said Harry.

"No you can't," said Hermione, "Some wizarding laws are barbaric! All you can do is challenge her to a duel, and I don't want you to do that."

Harry smiled, "A duel. That might be fun. It'd be good practice to fight a new opponent."

"Promise me you won't do that!" Hermione said.

"Mine, I love you, and I'm not going to promise that I won't defend your honor."

"But Hero..."

"Listen Hermione, if I'm willing to battle a dragon for Hogwarts' honor, what do you think I would be willing to battle for your honor?"

She turned pink and did her best not to smile at that statement. "Fine, let's not talk about dueling for a few minutes. I'd rather wish you good luck!"

With that said, she dragged Harry into the nearest broom closet and made him forget all about the dragon and Rita for a few minutes.

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

Harry and Hermione walked hand in hand into the Great Hall and to the Gryffindor table, where Neville and Ginny had saved them seats. He had barely started eating when Professor McGonagall walked up to him and said, "You're late to lunch Potter. Where have you been?" When both Harry and Hermione started blushing at that question, McGonagall continued, "Never mind. You have five minutes to eat, and then I have to take you to the first task."

Harry shoveled food in his mouth as fast as he could without choking, while Hermione put more food on his plate to save time. Before he knew it, McGonagall was back, so he swallowed what was in his mouth and took one last drink of pumpkin juice, and left with his head of house. He noticed that McGonagall seemed beside herself with worry, saying things like, "Don't panic."

"Professor," Harry said, "Don't worry. I'll be fine."

"Yes, of course you will, Potter," she said, sounding a bit more relaxed.

Harry nervously went into the tent to be alone with the two people that wanted to break up his relationship with Hermione. Krum immediately started glaring at him. When he saw Fleur, she was facing the wall of the tent, hiding her face. Harry bit his lip to stop himself from laughing at her. When he finally did see her face, it was so covered in makeup that he hardly recognized her. He fought back the urge to suggest she wear a mask instead, because the makeup wasn't working. After a very uncomfortable silence, they were joined by Ludo Bagman, who told them they need to retrieve a golden egg. He had them pick a dragon model out of an egg. Fleur went first and got a Swedish Short-Snout with a '2' on it. Krum got a Chinese Fireball with a '1' on it. That left Harry to get the Hungarian Horntail with a '3' on it.