10. A New Life

Harry and Hermione were giving Sirius the tour of the Grangers' home and were currently in the garden while Mr. and Mrs. Granger were inside preparing dinner. Sirius said, "It really is nice to walk around as a free man! Even after I escaped, I still couldn't walk around in gardens like this."

"Yes, I suppose not, Mr. Black," said Hermione.

"Call me Sirius, Hermione," said Sirius Black with a smile. Then, looking around he said, "This really is a beautiful garden. I'll bet you had a hand in making it."

She blushed. "I helped a bit."

"So, how long have you two been going out?"

They both smiled. "Since just after Christmas," said Harry. "We've been friends since Halloween of first year, but that's another story."

"I'd love to hear it sometime, but go on with how you started dating," said Sirius.

"What happened at Christmas was that Harry had received a Firebolt with no note," said Hermione."

"Oh," said Sirius, his face free of expression.

"Yes," continued Hermione. "And since we'd been told that you were out to kill Harry, I was afraid you'd cursed it and sent it to trick Harry into riding it so he'd fall off it and die."

"Hm," said Sirius.

"Anyway, she turned it over to Professor McGonagall, and Ron Weasley went ballistic, saying she was jealous and other nonsense like that," said Harry.

"But Harry," said Hermione with a smile, "stood up for me and let me explain my fears."

"After that," said Harry, "he wouldn't hang out with us anymore, so we spent a lot more time together, and well..."

"Starting kissing," suggested Sirius with a smile.

Both Harry and Hermione turned beet red. "Er, yeah," said Harry.

"And then Ron caught us and started acting worse toward us." Hermione sighed. "We're back on speaking terms with him, but I don't think our friendship will ever be close again."

Sirius said, "I'm sorry about Ron, but I've got a confession to make."

"What?" asked both teenagers together.

Sirius chuckled, "I did send Harry the broomstick for Christmas."

"So I was at least half right!" said Hermione triumphantly while Harry just stood there dazed for a few seconds.

Harry then smiled. "So in a way, you brought us together!"

They all chuckled a bit at that, but were interrupted when Marissa Granger called out, "Dinner's ready, you three."

"I'll be right there!" said Sirius. "This is my first home-cooked meal in thirteen years!"

❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾ ❾¾❾¾❾¾

While they were eating, Mr. Granger said to Sirius, "I understand you met Harry yesterday afternoon."

"Yes," he said, "although really it was reacquainted myself with him. I knew him as a baby. He's turned into an outstanding young man."

Harry's ears turned pink. "He has indeed," said Mrs. Granger, causing the pink to spread from Harry's ears to his cheeks.

"I must admit that I'm glad there'll be an adult staying with Harry," said Mr. Granger. "I understood why he had to leave those awful relatives of his, and I know he can take care of himself, but I planned on checking on him every few days just to make sure he was alright."