20. Slaves and Games

After only a few hours of sleep, Harry's group portkeyed near the Burrow, and then after bidding their goodbyes to the Weasleys, Sirius side-along apparated Hermione to Potter Manor, returning a minute later to take Harry.

When Harry arrived, he was greeted by Dobby, who immediately hugged Harry. "I is knowing Harry Potter is a great wizard for freeing Dobby and hiring him, but now Harry Potter is taking in Dobby's friend Winky."

At this moment Harry noticed Winky timidly standing in a corner, wearing a neat little skirt and blouse with a matching blue hat, which had holes in it for her large ears. "Hello Dobby," Harry said as Dobby released him. He then walked up to the other elf and squatted down before her. "Hello Winky."

"H-Hello Harry Potter sir. W-Winky is doing what Harry Potter is saying, coming to Potter Manor after Master Crouch, Master..." At this moment Winky started crying and Hermione, who'd been watching the exchange, squatted down next to Harry and hugged Winky.

"It's all right, Winky," she said, "It wasn't your fault."

"I is a bad elf. I is disgraced," Winky said, sobbing.

"You are not a bad elf, and Mr. Crouch is the disgrace," said Sirius. "If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals. Based off of how he treated you Winky, Barty Crouch is not a good man."

"I is not speaking ill of master," said Winky defensively.

"You don't have to speak ill of Mr. Crouch," said Harry. "Just agree to work for me."

Winky's eyes went wide as a smile came across her face. "You, you is still wanting to hire Winky?" she said hopefully.

"Of course I do," said Harry. "Dobby is getting one Galleon a week, with one day off per month. Is that acceptable for you?"

Winky lowered her head and began crying again. "Oh no, sir. Dobby may be wanting wages," she shot a glare at the other elf, whose ears lowered, "but Winky isn't accepting wages or days off."

"But you've got to," said Hermione, "It's only fair!"

"Then Winky is leaving. Winky is properly ashamed to take wages. Winky would rather die..."

"Fine," said Harry. "If that's how you feel about it, you can work here without wages." Hermione gave Harry a sharp glare. "But if you change your mind, you can come to me and ask for wages."

Winky smiled slightly. "I is accepting those terms, but I is not changing my mind about wages."

"Very well," said Harry. They then shook hands, sealing the magical agreement as their hands glowed for a second.

Hermione then stormed off toward the fireplace without saying a word. Harry called out, "Hermione," but it was too late. She'd already flooed away. Harry grabbed some floo powder, stepped into his fireplace, threw the powder down, and shouted, "Granger residence!" while Sirius watched silently.

When Harry arrived at Hermione's house, he distinctly heard an upstairs door slam. He looked around to see Adam and Marissa Granger looking at him with bewildered expressions on their faces. He took a deep breath. "Hello Adam, Marissa."

"Er, Hello Harry," said Adam. "What's wrong with Hermione? She said something about you owning slaves and stormed off."

"It was the only thing I could do, sir. At the world cup, we saw a house elf named Winky get sacked for no good reason, and we saw how heartbroken she was. I told Winky she could come to Potter Manor for a job. She showed up this morning and I offered her the same wages I pay Dobby, but Winky refused. She said she'd leave unless I let her work for nothing, and well, I agreed to let her, er, work for nothing. It was either that or let her live on the street. Hermione stormed off after that without saying a word, and flooed here." He then looked at Hermione's parents. "You don't think I should've sent Winky away, do you?"