29. The Hogwarts Champion

"What?" whispered Harry to Hermione. "How?"

"Harry Potter!" repeated Dumbledore.

"You have to go," whispered Hermione.

"But I didn't enter," whispered Harry.

"I know but..." whispered Hermione.

"HARRY POTTER!" shouted Dumbledore.

Harry stood up and walked toward Dumbledore. He felt every eye on him. He heard about half of the Gryffindors cheer. He heard Malfoy shout, "He's a cheat!" just before falling backwards on the floor. He noted he'd have to thank Hermione for that.

Dumbledore handed him the slip of paper with his name on it. It didn't even look like his handwriting, yet was somehow familiar. The headmaster then motioned for Harry to go where the other two champions were, without shaking his hand.

He found himself in a smaller room filled with portraits of witches and wizards. The only other occupants were Fleur and Viktor. Viktor glared at him while Fleur said, "What! You cannot be ze Ogwarts' champion. You are much too young! Eet iz an inzult!"

Harry held back a retort as Dumbledore, Karkaroff, Maxime, Crouch, Bagman, Black, Lupin, and McGonagall all came bursting into the room. Dumbledore grabbed Harry by the shoulders and asked, "Did you put your name in the Goblet of Fire?"

"No,"

"Did you ask someone else to put it in for you?"

"No."

"But of course 'e iz lying," said Madam Maxime.

"I am not!" shouted Harry. "I did not enter this tournament, and I am NOT going to participate!"

"But of courze you did, little boy," shouted Fluer Delacour. "You wizh to be famous!"

Harry looked at her for a second in shock, and then moved his hair to reveal his scar. "In case you didn't know, I'm already famous! I'm Harry Bloody Potter, and I already can't go anywhere without people gawking at my bloody scar!"

"'Arry Potter," said Fleur, taking a step back, obviously deflated. "I 'ad no idea."

"Well now you know, and I refuse to play this game of yours, so I'm going back to Gryffindor Common Room so you can plan your stupid tournament!"

"You can't leave now," said Crouch. "The Goblet of Fire constitutes a binding magical contract."

"Not if I didn't sign my name!" shouted Harry. "Goodbye!" Harry turned and started walking toward the door. Harry didn't notice the look of admiration that was forming on Fleur's face. Krum did, as he stood there silently, and glared even more fiercely at Harry, who wasn't paying him the slightest bit of attention. Sirius and Remus were proudly watching Harry stand up for himself.

"Harry," said Dumbledore, causing Harry to pause, "I truly hate to ask this of you, but I feel I must. I believe that you didn't enter and I can understand how you feel, but if you won't compete, then Hogwarts has no champion, and we forfeit this contest before it has begun, thus humiliating our school, especially since we're hosting the tournament. So please, if Hogwarts means anything to you, compete."

"Wait," said Sirius, "I'm his guardian and I forbid it."

"If Mr. Potter agrees to compete," said Mr. Crouch, "then even his parents couldn't stop him from competing if they came back from the dead." Sirius glared at Crouch.

"Well, Harry," asked Mr. Bagman, "What is your decision?"

Harry took a deep breath. "Well, I guess for Hogwarts' sake, I'll do it. But I'm not happy about it!"