28. Confidants and Champions

Later that night, Ron had a very embarrassing experience in the Gryffindor Common Room that was very similar to Malfoy's experience in the Great Hall. Unfortunately, Harry and Hermione were not there to witness the event. They were training in the Room of Requirement with Sirius and Remus.

When the duel of the night ended, Lupin said, "I'd like to talk to you for a minute about that notebook of Voldemort's. I have an idea of why your scar hurt from it."

"I've been wondering about that myself," said Harry. "Even Riddle's diary didn't affect my scar. Why would his notebook?"

"That's a good question," said Hermione.

"I got a sample of the ink that he wrote his name with and gave it to our Potions Master," he gestured at Sirius, who bowed politely, "and he tested it. He found out that the ink used contained blood."

"Blood," asked Hermione, "Whose blood? Why?"

"As for who's blood, I should think you of all people would be able to figure that out," said Lupin, smirking.

"It has to be V-Voldemort's blood to affect Harry's scar. But why?"

Lupin answered, "Let's just say that there are certain special curses that can be put on a book if you title it using ink that contains your own blood. Now that I know what I'm dealing with, I can counteract the curse. Unfortunately, it will still take about a week before we can read it."

"I hope whatever he wrote in there is worth the wait," said Harry.

"Considering how much trouble he put into protecting it," said Sirius, "I doubt it's a recipe for pumpkin juice."

"I guess not," said Harry.

"Oh," said Sirius, "There was something else I wanted to talk to you about. Tonks thinks you should bring a few other students into our duels. She thinks they're getting too easy for you."

Hermione looked shocked. "But, if we do that, we'll have to tell them about our wandless magic."

"True," said Lupin, "Do you think you can trust anyone that much?"

"Well," said Harry, "Even if we did trust someone enough, they need to learn occlumency so that no one will be able to extract the information from them."

"What about the two that you took into the chamber with you?" asked Sirius, "Ginny Weasley and Neville Longbottom. They already know some of your secrets. Do you think you can trust them?"

"I trust them as much if not more than any other students," said Harry. "I know Neville is loyal, and I can't imagine Ginny betraying me."

"She owes you a life debt," said Lupin. "It might be a good idea to remind her of that while you're talking to her."

"Alright," said Harry, looking at Hermione, who nodded, "We'll talk to them."

"We should probably bring them here to talk so we have privacy to demonstrate our skills," said Hermione. "It would be easier if one of you teachers would escort us. It is getting late, but I think we should talk to them tonight."

"Alright," said Lupin, "I'll go with you to Gryffindor tower. I doubt the head of Slytherin house is welcome there."

Harry chuckled, "You know Sirius, I've never asked you how that's been going. Do you think you've been reaching any of the Slytherins?"

"Actually," said Sirius with a smile, "It actually seems like most of them, with the exception of Malfoy and a handful of others, aren't really evil. They actually acted like that because Snape and Malfoy would pressure them into it. With Snape gone and Draco being humiliated all the time..."