Chapter Six

A/N: A picture into the daily lives of the Dragon Court after their hostile takeover. Official beginning of the second act. Many thanks to those who've read up to this far. I loved getting my first comment <3

P.S.: Smoking is bad, kids.

• • •

Mal woke up the next morning with a massive hangover. Evie's face was the first thing she saw, and it filled her heart with happiness. She woke up her princess with a soft smile, and judging by the way she gripped her head, Evie had a headache too.

Breakfast was delicious, as usual, and observed religiously by Mal, who loved Jay's cooking. He and Carlos had come over early to make food for the other kids, and somehow got his hands on real, actual coffee, a thousand times better than the swill they'd had in the past. When asked, Jay merely smirked.

"A great thief never reveals his secrets."

He also indicated that this was a rare occasion, and they shouldn't expect good coffee on a regular basis.

After breakfast, Evie went off with a list of what they needed done, and the best people to do it. Mal had other business to attend to, namely sending their little scout Dizzy to round up Michael Medusa to give him the bad news. As it turned out, that wasn't necessary. Mal had claimed the headmaster's office for her own, and Carlos was currently examining the archives of the school library which were housed right across from it. The place was usually off-limits to the public, so Mal held out hope that those archives held something good.

Ginny, who had been given the first patrol, came into the office, breathless and flushed, as if she'd run the whole way in.

"Claudine says there's someone coming. She thinks it's the Medusa boy." Ginny exclaimed. Claudine was given the post of watchman, from the bell tower.

"Just the man I wanted to see." Mal nodded to the girl. "Send him in."

• • •

Evie made her way through the halls of the converted school, housekeeping list in hand. First stop: Clay Clayton. She found the boy at target practice, hacking away at a wooden stump in the graveyard with his machete.

"Hey there, Clay." She grinned at him, and wiping the sweat from his brow, he gave a salute. "How about we put that youthful energy to good use?"

"What did you have in mind?" He smirked, and Evie fluttered her eyelashes at him. Her heart belonged to Mal, and she couldn't even really say she was attracted to boys, but flirting got her favors, and was a skill she wanted to keep sharp.

"We need help breaking down the last of the desks into firewood for winter." Evie smirked. "Sounds like a fine job for a big strong boy, right?"

"I'll get right on it." Clay grinned, and slung his machete over his shoulder. It wasn't really the right tool for chopping wood, but no one she knew had an axe or hatchet.

Next stop on the list: Yen Sid.

When she politely knocked on the office door, Yen Sid answered with the same respect. He had gone home after the bonfire last night, and was assured that he could come back in the morning.

"Come in, Genevieve." The wizard smiled as he held the door for her, and she sat across from him at his desk.

"I've come to let you know you can keep your job here, if you still want it. Were you being paid?" She asked, tentatively. Mal had ordered her to try and keep the teacher's salary as it was, within reason.

"I receive a stipend from the crown, so you needn't worry."

"That's good." Evie breathed a sigh of relief. "We won't have much revenue once we start making kids come to school."