Interlude IV: Four Descendants

Interlude IV: Four Descendants (And Why They Matter For The Final Act)

A/N: Unlike the other interludes, this one is actually necessary to the story. This chapter is about four descendants who haven't played a major part in the story yet, but whose actions will affect the ultimate outcome of the big conflict between the Isle and Auradon. Maybe they make a big choice between now and then. Maybe they just turn right instead of left, and the action causes a ripple effect.

Note: I've largely based Shan Yu and Hun culture on Genghis Khan, and his army of Mongolian conquerers. That guy is a super interesting historical figure! I feel that the villain of Mulan might be more closely related to Attila the Hun, but I find him a lot less intriguing character.

• • •

Harriet Hatter always walked along the coast of Auradon, she loved the quiet whisper of the waves as high tide came in, even though she didn't understand it. Her father was the Mad Hatter of Wonderland fame, and he helped Alice overthrow the Queen of Hearts. For that act of treason, he was given 'hero status', and revered as one of the good guys. In reality (and this, Harriet knew), he only really wanted to get out of a debt he had with the Queen, and deposing her was the easiest solution.

She lived in Auradon, but she didn't have many friends. Her daddy was a hero, and she was his princess, but they were both villains on the inside, where it counted.

So Harriet didn't have friends, and she wandered the beach alone, picking up seashells and building sandcastles for imaginary people to inhabit. She was twelve when she found the first message in a bottle.

To whom it may concern,

My father hates me. I don't know why. I try to be the very best daughter I can be, but it seems I am never good enough. I love my little brother, but I get so jealous when he always receives praise from my father, and I always get scorn.

Someone save me, Harriet H.

And wasn't that just a coincidence! Another Harriet H, like her, and one who seemed just as lonely and confused. Hatter took out paper and pen (she always had paper and pen), and wrote a reply, sealing it back inside the bottle, and throwing it back out, as far as she could.

To Harriet H,

My father loves me, but I am terribly lonely, and I have no friends at school. I wish someone would save you, and me too. I wish we could trade places for a while. Then you could have a father who loved you, and I could have a little brother to play with. I am also a Harriet H. I bet, if we switched places, no one would even notice.

A friend, Harriet

The next letter came a few weeks later, bobbing along in the surf, in the same scuffed bottle, with a cork in the top.

Harriet H,

I don't want any friends. Everyone says friends make you weak. Even so, I am terribly lonely, and allies (not friends!) Would be very apprishiated. Do you have any hobbies? I like practicing with my sword, and learning about pirates.

Awaiting reply, Harriet

By now, Harriet Hatter was seriously enjoying the relationship with her new friend. It was like they were pen pals!

Harriet H,

I know how you feel about friends, papa has said the same thing to me before. But what about pen pals? I would very much enjoy getting to write to you. I will be your ally, if that's what you want.