Chapter Twenty-Seven

A/N: When was Auradon founded? Given the advanced technology in the movie, I imagine the setting is only a few years past the modern day, a decade or two at most

• • •

Ben watched tv from a common room where the children of the high council waited for their parents. He'd actually been reading a book, but as soon as the regular broadcast was broken by the footage of Mal Morgana in front of the camera, every eye in the room stopped what they were doing and looked to the screen.

"Who the hell is that?" Chad Charming asked, and he was shushed by his sister, Cindy.

"Let the games begin." Mal smirked, and Ben suppressed a shudder as his two worlds collided. The world with Mal, the woman he loved, and the world with his parents, who Mal was putting in veryreal danger.

"We can't just let that bitch do what she's doing, Ben!" Chad exclaimed, shaking his friend's shoulder. "I know she says it's legal and all, but you saw your dad, he looked terrified! She's probably controlling them!"

"Would you two shut it!?" Lonnie shouted from her position on the opposite sofa. "I want to hear what's happening!"

"What's your problem?" Chad spat in return and Lonnie flipped him off vehemently.

"My problem is that I'm trying to listen to what our parents are doing, while you two idiots keep whining!" Lonnie hissed, and Chad rolled his eyes.

Meanwhile, Mal turned to Jay, and pulled him out of earshot while the reporter repeated what was happening, for those who had just tuned in.

"Do you have the photos Evie and Carlos took?" Mal asked, referring of course, to the photographs they took of conditions on the Isle, and this was after they started helping people. It was still pretty horrific.

"Jane has them." Jay explained, and gestured for her to join the group huddle.

"I have them right here, Mal, as well as my summary of prior court proceedings and the list of exemptions." Jane chirped with a smile, and her eyes glowed with a sort of wicked smirk that was usually reserved for Isle kids. Mal suspected she was eager to get her revenge on Audrey and Chad for their relentless teasing.

"Excellent. We're going to make sure every citizen of Auradon knows why we're doing this." The Fae Queen explained. "Once the citizens and army realize we're in the right, they won't flock to whatever Descendant decides to fight back."

"You won't be locking up the Auradon brats?" Jay asked, feeling just a little disappointed.

"I don't want to bring myself to their level. I won'tpunish children for what their parents did." Mal insisted. "Besides. Once we alienate their citizens and armies, there won't be any chance they'll beat us. Can you imagine Chad Charming wielding a sword and cutting down my elite guard? Doubtful."

That said, Mal turned back to the reporter, and motioned that she was ready to begin.

"And here she is, folks, the young woman who took control of the Auradon High Council in the space of minutes. I give you: Mal Morgana!" The reporter chirped, and Mal took the microphone.

"Thank you." She said to the reporter, and her next words were to the camera. "Many of you may be wondering what we need justice for? As far as you know, the rulers assembled here haven't committed any crimes. I'm here to prove that they have."

"In the year 2000, when Auradon was founded, one of the main draws of the nation was the creation of a prison colony for villains. They called it The Isle Of The Lost." Mal explained, and Jane held the photos before the camera, showing scenes of desolation, dilapidation and the desperate poor.