Chapter Seventeen

Surprise! Bonus Chapter!

A/N: Kind of a Maleficent heavy chapter. Again, you don't have to know the film to understand it or appreciate it, but fans will enjoy the continuity.

P.S: I always remember that Yzla exists at the last minute, and that means that Yzma is on the Isle and Kuzco must be part of the council of Auradon, and... Why? How? How do I make this comical llama emperor a part of Auradon? Is Kronk also on the Isle? There are too many questions to answer now. So let's say that in this AU, Yzma was sent to the Isle (somehow procreated?), but Kuzcopia isn't an official province of Auradon yet

• • •

On the eve of Mal's seventeenth birthday, two very important things happened. 

The first event, Mal had been expecting, and had been ready for it for several months now. Carlos had completed the device, and for her birthday present, Mal would have full access to her magic, if only for a few minutes. She'd delivered letters to each household on the island, informing them of what would happen. Anyone caught trying to escape while the barrier was down would be killed on sight. Mal advised her subjects to stay indoors and enjoy the use of their magic.

The second, Mal did not know all about until years later. She watched on the night that all the fae of the Moorlands disappeared, never to be seen by Auradonian eyes for months to come. She watched as they arrived on the Isle to pay her fealty. She didn't learn of Fairy Godmother's involvement until many years later, when she took her throne in Auradon.

"It's time." Carlos announced, making a few last minute adjustments to the little box, adjusting the antenna, and crossing his fingers. "Ready when you are, Mal."

"I was born ready." Mal whispered, hand clutching at Evie's, and trying to keep the tremor from her voice. Magic was her birthright, stolen by her mother's mistake, and it was so unfair that Mal hoped she'd spontaneously grow wings when her magic hit.

The device started up, whirring as gears spun and components heated. None of the faeries born on the Isle had wings, because wings are created with magic at birth, and there was no magic on the Isle of The Lost. Magical creatures on the Isle struggled with frustration, because they had so much magic inside them, coiling beneath their skin, screaming to get out, that it came up to the surface in brightly colored hair and eyes. When the dome burst, would all that magic hurt?

"Three... Two... One." Carlos counted down, and as soon as the machine started, all four of the inner circle screamed, clutching their heads as they fell to the floor.

Evie felt her ancestral magic flow into her. Half of her potions work was merely chemistry and botany, those she could do easily behind the barrier. The other half were different, like the potion her mother once used to turn herself into a crone. Those required the use of magic, that up until now, she hadn't possessed

When the headache finally subsided enough to not be seeing double, Evie looked over to the others, and saw that Jay's wrists were shining with golden manacles that seemed flat against his skin like magical tattoos. Apparently, Jafar's once-upon-a-time genie status had been handed down to his son. Carlos glowed too, just a bit, and the air around him seemed colder by degrees. Why? Evie had no idea. He was still writhing, still screaming, still absorbing magic they'd never thought he had. They all assumed he was human, just as they thought Jay would be.

Minutes later, the boys had shaken out of their stupor (Jay first, and then Carlos), and Mal still screamed on the floor. The three looked to each other as they knelt by her side, holding her hands and petting her forehead as she cried in agony. Her ears were a bit more pointed now, and her hair shone like burnished metal overtop of her usual violet. Evie recalled that Maleficent's hair sometimes shone like that, at times when her eyes glowed green.