Chapter Fifteen

A/N: My health has been bad lately, and it's hard to get motivated to write. Your reviews and comments fill me with joy, so thank you all for being patient with updates!

• • •

On the day of the drop off, Jane stood on the deck of the ship that was cutting through the waves, to the Isle of the Lost. Ben stood beside her, and they both looked out to the grimy shore of the Isle in quiet contemplation.

"Why were you so insistent that you come along?" Ben finally asked. This was the first time they'd been alone together since she'd brought it up, and the prince was curious. So far as he knew, Jane was the most timid, scared girl he knew. Why was she so eager to approach an island of villains?

"It was actually all thanks to you, Ben." Jane replied, and looked back at him with cloud-grey eyes, and a smile that seemed so out of place with her usual timid frown. "When you asked me to enchant that mirror, I said 'no' at first, because I was afraid of my magic, and what it could do."

"I'm sorry I deceived you." Ben replied, because it was polite, even though he didn't quite mean it.

"You didn't trick me." Jane laughed. "I decided to take a chance. That's why I read the words and worked the magic. It wouldn't have worked if I didn't will it to."

Ben nodded, but was silent. The girl continued.

"Once I started, and finally let the magic out, I didn't want to stop. It felt natural, right. So when the magic told me to go, I went. It's that simple." Jane finished.

"Why would your magic be pulling you to the Isle?" Ben asked, curiously, as he peered through the gloom of the nearby barrier.

"I'm a seelie fae, what people usually call a 'good fairy'. It might be that my magic wants me to do some good, and that's the place that needs it most." Jane explained. "I really don't know, Ben. There's so much about magic that I don't understand."

"Maybe Mal can help you." Ben noted. "She's a half-faerie too."

"No, she's fully fae, just as I am." Jane explained. "This is one thing I do know; a faerie mother will always have a fae baby, no matter who, or what the father is."

They didn't speak after that, both preferring to simply sit and think together, on their way to the rotting port of the Isle.

Once the supply boat docked on the shore, the two Auradonians were greeted by Yen Sid, who ushered them off the ship. Hundreds of pirates milled around the docks, gazing hungrily at the ship, and it made Jane a bit uncomfortable.

"Mr. Sid, pardon, but is this, um, safe?" She asked tentatively, and the old wizard laughed.

"Yes, yes, these pirates are the main law enforcers on the island, and they're here to distribute the goods." He explained.

"Law enforcement? They look like thugs!" Ben exclaimed.

"Did I just hear someone insult my crew?" A voice hissed from nearby, and Uma drifted into sight, startling Jane backwards. Ben forced himself into a courteous bow.

"Deepest apologies, Lady Triton." Ben said, realizing when she appeared that this was the same young woman he saw during meetings of the Dragon Court, even though her formal wear was gone, and she wore a grimy doublet with boots and gloves, and an embroidered patch shaped like an octopus with an overlaid trident. Looking around, Ben saw that many of the people bustling around them wore similar patches, but all were different, and seemed to proclaim different factions. The painted graffiti on the walls of nearby buildings were like larger versions of the crests on jackets and lapels.