Chapter Nine

A/N: Some interesting opinions come up in this chapter about how Mal is more masculine like a father figure, where Evie is a mother figure. I want the readers to know that I don't really believe gender roles or parenting roles are so cut and dry. The opinions expressed here are because of Mal's own opinions and biases as I write them, not the opinions of me, the author!

Contains: The same dark isle we know from this au, including rough situations, starvation, and Isle Negotiations. Also includes a cute Jaylos moment though ;)

"What the fuck happened here." Mal commanded, and her troupe of thieves looked guiltily down at the floor. At a nudge from Evie, she added, "I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at the idiot who beat you up. Messing with my subordinates is messing with me, and I had no idea anyone would doubt my power enough to go after you."

"A massive breach of respect..." Dizzy muttered, and Evie thanked the stars that her surrogate sister had only suffered bruised ribs and a black eye.

"It was Uma's crew." Ginny muttered, nursing a sprained arm and the same bleeding cuts that everyone had. "They took us by surprise, never saw it coming."

"That bitch used divide-and-conquer tactics," Another thief noted. "She got us separated, and we came back with nothing."

"That's going to be a problem." Mal frowned, going through the options in her head. "You're all dismissed now. Evie, you know what to do."

Mal left the room, with Evie tending the wounded. In times like these, Yzla always worked as her assistant, and got the patients fixed up sooner. Minutes later, Evie rushed back out to follow Mal.

"You okay, M?" She asked, quickly entwining their fingers.

"No, I'm not okay. Who does that little shrimp think she is? She has no right to take what's ours. She hasn't earned it, like we have." The little Maleficent growled. The two girls headed outside the building, aiming for Jay's Junk Shop, to convene with their lieutenants Jay and Carlos.

"Hey, good news Mal!" The white-haired boy exclaimed when the girls walked in. His excitement was short-lived, however, when he saw the look on his leader's face. "Or... not."

"Hi Carlos." Evie smiled sympathetically. "We can talk about your good news after we're done plotting."

"Did someone say plotting?" Jay smirked, emerging from behind the counter.

"Uma attacked our last barge crew." Mal explained quickly, cutting right to the point, and the heaviness of that statement sunk right to everyone's stomachs.