5. The Last Alliance

A/n: this chapter is based off of the introduction for the High Elf race on Lord of the Rings Online.

The armies of Men and Elves stood at attention as the Elven King and the High King of Gondor, discussed their next plan of attack.

A scout ran up to the lords with news of the ongoing battle. Oropher had lead his army on a charge, and Prince Thranduil had gone with them.

Cadhradriel felt her heart skip a beat. Sure the elf Prince annoyed her, but that's what best friends do.

Glorfindel looked at her, sadness in his eyes. He could see that the news had affected her, and now she may never see her best friend alive.

"The other scouts say that Prince Thranduil is behind enemy lines."

Gil-Galad thought for a moment. "How far in?"

"Deep my Lord. I fear he may never make it out."

Cadhradriel's blue eyes snapped up to the scout. "Then we must rescue him!"

Glorfindel grabs her arm. "Cadhradriel, I will not allow you to go up to that encampment. It would be suicide."

Before the dark haired Elleth could respond, another voice broke the silence. "Who said she'd be going alone?"

The company of elves and men turned to see an elven archer, standing in the threshold of the tent.

Cadhradriel smiled seeing her best friend, Taneniel, standing there. "I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away from a fight."

Taneniel laughed. "You really think I wouldn't be able to stay away from seeing you and Princey get into a fight?"

Elendil cleared his throat. "If you two want to go save the prince, then by all means."

oOo

Cadhradriel strapped her dagger to her thigh. Her thoughts were going everywhere at once. Glorfindel cleared his throat, pulling her back to reality.

"You're sure you want to do this,"

"Ada, I'm not an elfling. I don't need to be protected from the world."

Glorfindel crossed the space between them, pulling his daughter into his arms. "I know, but it's a father's job to worry about his daughter."

Cadhradriel gave him a reassuring smile. "I'll be okay. I promise."

Sarthanir entered the tent. "Oh good. I thought you'd already left. I wanted to wish you luck."

His older sister laughed. "Thank you little brother."

The family held each other close until Taneniel appeared in the threshold. "We need to leave. Now."

oOo

The two Elleths hid behind some fallen rocks near an enemy encampment.

"I can see your Prince Charming from here," Taneniel whispered.

Cadhradriel rolled her eyes. "Oh please. Nothing could ever happen between us."

The blonde elf raised an eyebrow. "I seem to remember a different memory of you and your prince. I do believe some of the strong wine was involved."

Cadhradriel groaned, motioning to the captive prince. "May we please just get on with it? You can tease me all you want when we're done."

Taneniel nodded. "Lead the way."

The dark haired elf crept up to the encampment, and knocked an arrow into her bow. The sound of an arrow hissing through the air, filled Prince Thranduil's ears.

He looked up and to see his favorite black haired Elleth. She motioned for him to stay quiet.

Four feet away, Taneniel released her arrow. It hit its target. By this time,two more orcs had emerged from the nearby tent.

Cadhradriel and Taneniel took both of the enemies out. Thranduil grinned as Cadhradriel came closer.

"Never thought it'd be the damsel to save the prince in distress," he teased as she cut his tied up wrists.

Cadhradriel rolled her eyes. Before she could respond, a giant spider and one of the servants of Sauron approached.

Thranduil stood in front of her, his arms outstretched to shield her from harm.

"Give up elfling. No one will save you," the dark servant hissed.

Taneniel stood a few feet behind the two elves, her bow ready.

"Don't you dare touch her."

The spider screeched, kicking out one of it's legs to the blonde elf prince. Thranduil didn't move.

Cadhradriel stood  behind him, her hand on the hilt of her sword.

"You may have saved this elf prince, but there is another."

Thranduil and Cadhradriel exchanged glances. "What do you mean?"

The servant smiled, his teeth stained yellow. "The son of Gil-Galad."

Taneniel's eyes grew wide. "No."

The spider kicked one of it's legs out, but it was literally cut off.

Cadhradriel, Thranduil, and Taneniel looked behind them. Elrond, Glorfindel, Sarthanir, and a few others had appeared just in time.

oOo

The spider and servant had fled back deeper into the territory. Now, the company stood to discuss the plan to rescue the elf prince.

Cadhradriel and Taneniel had volunteered to go up the place where he was being held.

One the way up, the Elleths ran into orcs.

"Go after him. I'll stay here and keep any others away," Taneniel states pulling her sword out of its sheath.

Cadhradriel nods and raced up the stairs to where the prince was being held.

oOo

At the top of the tower, Cadhradriel could see the entire battle field.

A dark figure stood at one end of the tower, watching the battle below.

Cadhradriel crept up behind the figure, sword unsheathed.

"Servant of Gil-Galad, you've come for the prince."

"Where is he?" Cadhradriel questioned. The figure turned around, revealing that he was none other than the Witch king of Angmar.

"The elf prince is already imprisoned somewhere where no one will find him."

Cadhradriel gasped, covering her mouth with her hand looking around.

"And now, you shall return to Gil-Galad as one of the dead."

Before the Elleth could respond, the steel of a Morgul blade pierced her skin. Cadhradriel gasped, falling to the ground.

She clutched her abdomen, curling up into a fetal position. The Witch king stood over her body.

Sounds of yelling filled the injured elf's pointed ears as someone scoops her up into their arms. Then all went black.