25. Mornefindon

Alathleth opened the doors to the bedroom, her hazel eyes looking for the new father. She smiled when Lindir walked over. "Congratulations, my Lord Lindir. You have a son."

Lindir felt his breath catch when he was told the news. He moved past the midwife into the room. His wife was propped up against the pillows, holding a small bundle. She looked up at him when she heard him come in. "Hi, Ada."

The brunette elf felt tears in his eyes as he made his way over to the bed. He sat down on the edge next to Cadhradriel, and peeked into the blanket. He smiled seeing the face of his firstborn child. The baby's eyes were closed, and his little tongue was sticking out slightly. Lindir felt like he was in Valinor. He looked up at his wife, who smiled weakly at him.

"He's perfect."

"He is. Meleth nin, we still haven't come up with a name for him."

Lindir stroked his son's head as he thought. Small strands of dark hair could be seen on top of the baby's head. "Why don't we call him Mornefindon? I think it's fitting since he has both of our hair colour."

Cadhradriel laughed and brushed her son's cheek with her finger. "Mae govanen, Mornefindon. Your Ada and I love you very much."

oOo

All of Rivendell was bubbling with excitement when news came that Glorfindel's daughter had given birth to a son. It had been nearly three hundred years since the last baby was born there in Imladris, and everyone was excited. Elves from all over Middle Earth came to see the baby elfling. They brought gifts for the baby and the new parents as well.

Cadhradriel stood on the balcony, holding her son close to her chest as he slept. She hummed and rubbed his back to keep him from waking up. Everyone wanted to see the baby, but she only allowed for family members to see him for the time being. Daelarien loved to hold her grandson and kiss his little cheeks. Glorfindel was already making plans to teach him the wonders of the world, and Sarthanir couldn't wait to teach him how to use a weapon.

For now, the young mother was enjoying her bonding time with her son. Lindir had gone back to work earlier that day after taking time off to be with his family. He was reluctant to go back, but Cadhradriel reassured him he would see him that night. Mornefindon began to stir from his nap when Cadhradriel stopped humming. She kissed the top of his small head and went back inside. She gently placed her son in his crib as he fell back asleep.

"There you go, ion nin. Your grandmother will be in shortly to look after you."

Cadhradriel stayed next to the crib, stroking his soft cheek with her finger. He was only a few days old, and she had fallen completely in love with him. The new mother stood there for a few moments longer, until she physically had to pull herself away to answer the door.

Daelarien smiled seeing her daughter. "How're you feeling?"

Cadhradriel yawned. "Exhausted. He wakes us up almost every two hours."

The older Elleth chuckled as she went to see her grandson. "You were the same way. It does get better as the baby gets older."

Cadhradriel nodded and leaned against the doorframe. "I still feel like I'm not ready."

Daelarien pulled her daughter into a hug. "No one ever is. You just have to go along with it as it happens."

Cadhradriel nodded. She knew that as long as Lindir was with her, raising an elfling wouldn't be too hard.

oOo

That night, a great feast was held in honour of the newest addition to the Valley of Imladris. The meal was to officially show off the baby to the public for the first time. Mornefindon wasn't too happy about the cheering crowd before him. He began to cry into Cadhradriel's shoulder. Lindir, who was standing next to his wife, reached up behind her to try and calm his son.

"Do you want to take him," Cadhradriel asked quietly.

Lindir nodded and gently took the small elfling from her arms. He held his head to his shoulder, and rubbed his back to calm him down. The crowd quieted down as the new parents looked to each other again. Lindir nodded. Cadhradriel then faced the crowd of elves that were seated at the tables full of food.

"Please welcome, Mornefindon son of Lindir and grandson of Glorfindel."

The elves began to cheer again. Those who were standing close to Glorfindel offered their congratulations on his new grandson. He simply smiled and raised his goblet of wine to his daughter and son in law. Cadhradriel nodded to her father, and he smiled at her. For that night, the elves forgot all the troubles in the world, and focus on the good and innocent things.