20. From the Moment I met You

Cadhradriel sat in silence as various council members argued about whatever important matter was at hand. To be honest, the Elleth could care less. All she wanted to do was get out of Lord Elrond's chambers.

"If I slip away, no one will notice," she thought looking for her escape route.

Glorfindel glanced over to see his daughter contemplating whether to leave or not. He leaned over and whispered in her ear, "Go. If there's something important that is said, I will inform you."

Cadhradriel smiled and whispered back her thanks. She slipped away before any of the other elves noticed her absence.

oOo

The Elleth stopped by the library on her way back to her quarters. She needed to return a book and look for a new one.

Cadhradriel sighed as she glanced through the various books. She had read most of them already. Sighing in defeat, she thanked the librarian and walked out.

"Maybe I can spar with Sarthanir," she thought. Cadhradriel picked up her purple dress and made her way back to the families quarters. She knocked on her younger brother's door, but no answer.

"Odd. He's usually here," she thought as she opened the door slightly. To her surprise, the young Ellon wasn't in his room. Puzzled, the eldest child of Glorfindel closed his door.

"Your brother has gone hunting with Lord Elrond's sons."

Cadhradriel jumped hearing the sound of her mother's voice. She closed her eyes and placed a hand over her chest, trying to slow her heart rate down.

Daelarien chuckled and continued with her needle work. "I remember when you used to try and scare me."

Cadhradriel laughed lightly as she sat down opposite of her mother. "I remember failing many times."

"Cadhradriel, I grew up with seven brothers. Everything you did to scare me, was nothing compared to them," the older of the two Elleths stated as she stitched a hole in her husband's tunic.

"How's Lindir?"

Cadhradriel sighed at the mention of his name. She picked up a spool of thread and played with it. "He's doing well I guess. I don't know, he's been quieter lately."

Daelarien nodded. "Just give him some time. You'll see."

The Elleths sat in silence for a while before Cadhradriel broke it. "Nana?"

"Mhmm?"

"How did you know when you loved Ada?"

Daelarien put down her needle and looked to her only daughter. "What do you mean?"

Cadhradriel sighed and put her face in her hands. "Lindir and I have courted for thirty years now, and I know I love him," she paused, flustered with what to say next.

"But," her mother said, sensing a but was coming.

"How do I know that the feelings are real? How do I know that these feelings are different from the ones I had for Thranduil years ago?"

Daelarien sighed. In truth, she had always thought the feelings for Thranduil were due to the thought of losing each other in the war.

"Cad, when you fall in love with someone. Everything changes. Your whole outlook on life," she smiled thinking of the day she knew she truly loved Glorfindel. "It'll feel like you're in Valinor. When you look at him, you don't see the others around, just him. His voice will become the most important thing to you, and you'll do anything to keep him talking. When you're together, you'll slow down just to be with him longer. You'll smile for absolutely no reason when you look at him."

Cadhradriel smiled seeing her mother reminiscing about the Eldar days.

"Nana, I never felt this way Thranduil. I love him, but in a different way. All the things you mentioned, I feel for Lindir. My heart soars through the clouds when I'm with him. I could listen to his singing for hours and never tire."

Daelarien smiled and squeezed her daughter's hand. "I think you have found your One."

"How do you know?"

"Because I knew it the moment I saw you," Lindir's voice sounded from the door.

oOo

Cadhradriel whirled around to be face to face with Lindir. A big grin was on his face as he moved closer. He reached his hand out to take Cadhradriel's in his own. The dark haired elf looked down at their intertwined fingers.

"You knew that from the moment we met?"

"Well, not exactly at that moment, but over time."

Cadhradriel blushed and brought his hand up to her mouth to place an tender kiss on it.

oOo

Daelarien had slipped out of the room, unnoticed by the two lovers. She stood just outside the entrance to the chambers when her husband walked up behind her. The Elleth shrieked as Glorfindel put his hand over her mouth, a grin on his face.

She smacked one of his arms playfully as they wrapped around her waist. "Shh! He's in there right now!"

Glorfindel placed his golden head on his wife's shoulder to peer into the room.

"Did you give him permission," Daelarien asked in a hushed tone.

The elven lord nodded and kissed the side of her neck. "I did. Poor minstrel was so nervous too."

As the two elves stood in the doorway spying, Sarthanir walked up behind them, loudly munching on an apple.

"What're you doing?"

"SHHH!!!"

Before their son could respond, a shriek of joy could be heard from inside the chambers. The three elves outside crowded in the doorway, only to see Cadhradriel and Lindir on the floor laughing and crying.

"I take it she said yes," Glorfindel asked Lindir.

The two elves on the ground sat up, smiles plastered to each of their faces. "I did."

Sarthanir spit out the apple in his mouth. "I'm gone for one day and my sister gets engaged?! Unbelievable!"

The other elves laugh as he turns to go to his chambers. Cadhradriel clutches her side as she leans her head against Lindir's arm. He looks down at her, a smile on his face.

"I love you, my starlight. I'll love you for the rest of my life."

Cadhradriel kissed her fiancé gently. "And I love you, my songbird. Until death do us part, and even after that."