12. Market visit

A few days later, the last Homely House was in a panic. The Lady Celebrian, had been traveling from her visit to Lothlorien, when she had been kidnapped by orcs.

Elladan, Elrohir, Sarthanir, and a few other soldiers set out immediately to find the missing lady. Lord Elrond had locked himself in his study, refusing to come out. Erestor and Glorfindel stood outside the door, trying to coax him out.

Cadhradriel approached the elven lords, a worried look on her face.

"Has he done anything?"

Erestor rolled his eyes. "Do you think we would be standing out here, if he did?"

Cadhradriel placed her hands on her hips. Glorfindel put a hand on her shoulder. "Well, excuse me but I am trying to console his daughter. Something that his lordship should be doing."

Erestor sighed. "Forgive me, Cadhradriel. We are doing everything we can. Go back to the Lady Arwen. See if she needs anything."

Glorfindel nodded to his daughter. She gave a small curtsy and left.

oOo

Daelarien sat on the bed with a young Arwen, reading her a book. The Elleth looked up when the door opened, revealing her daughter.

Arwen jumped up and ran to Cadhradriel.

"Do you know when nana will be home?"

Cadhradriel shook her head. "I'm sorry Mellon nin, but I haven't heard anything." The elfling was too young to know what truly was going on.

Arwen looked down to the ground and sighed. "Lady Cadhradriel, would you mind if we go to the market? I want to purchase some fabric for nana so I can make her a new embroidery."

Daelarien smiled at the thought. "I do believe your nana will love that, Arwen."

Cadhradriel smiled at the elfling. "I love that idea! Go get your cloak and we'll go."

Arwen clapped her hands and ran off to find it.

Daelarien looked to her oldest child. "Get her away from the House. If I hear anything, I will send for you."

The younger Elleth nodded.

Arwen returned a few moments later, and the pair left for the market.

oOo

Arwen pulled out a strip of lavender fabric. "What about this color?"

Cadhradriel looked up from her pink strip to look at the one in Arwen's hands. "I think that is a very nice color. Why don't you hold onto that, and see if there are anymore you might like."

Arwen giggled, clutching the fabric to her chest. "Okay." She looked around some more before looking at the older Elleth.

Her eyes widened as she saw the purple tulle that Cadhradriel had in her hands. The young Elleth reached up to touch it.

"Ooh! I think you should get that one!"

Cadhradriel laughed as she held the fabric up to herself. She looked at her reflection in the mirror. "You think so?"

Arwen nodded her head vigorously, and clapped her hands. "Oh, yes yes yes!"

Cadhradriel thought for a moment, then squatted down to Arwen's height, smiling. "How about this. I will purchase this and have us to matching dresses made. What do you say?"

Arwen gasped and threw her arms around the older elf's neck. "I would love that!"

The older Elleth smiled and hugged the young Elleth back. "Then let's go!"

oOo

Arwen held onto Cadhradriel's hand as they made their way around the market. They stopped at a fruit cart, and bought two apples.

The elfling was enjoying her time being outside. She was usually cooped up inside, learning to be a lady.

Cadhradriel was taught the same thing when she was three hundred years old. Now, she was both a lady and a warrior. A fine mix of both.

The pair eventually made it back to the large house, where Glorfindel was waiting outside for them.

Cadhradriel smiled when she saw her Ada.

"Arwen, why don't you go bring this material to the seamstress so she can measure you. I'll be there in a few minutes."

The elfling nodded, and ran off to the sewing room.

Cadhradriel approached her father slowly. "How is he?"

Glorfindel started to walk down the corridor, his daughter on his heels. "Lord Elrond is still inside. Erestor is still with him."

His daughter nodded. "Any news on Lady Celebrian?"

The elven lord shook his head. "Not yet. I trust that the young Lady Arwen doesn't know?"

Cadhradriel nodded. "Nana told me to keep her occupied."

Glorfindel nodded. "Good. She is too young to know the dangers of this world."

"Ada, I was her age when you and Gondolin fell. It's only a matter of time before the evil of this world breaks through the barriers."

Glorfindel stopped and turned to face her. "My flower, I may not have been here while you or your brother were growing up, but I watched everyday from the Hall of Mandos."

Cadhradriel lowered her gaze to her feet. "I was so angry and confused as to why you weren't there. I hoped in my heart that you had somehow survived."

Glorfindel lifted her chin to gaze into her eyes that she had inherited from him. "I did in a way. Your nana kept the memories of us alive, by telling you and Sarthanir stories of us. I pray to the Valar that Lord Elrond doesn't have to do the same thing."

Cadhradriel kissed her father's cheek. "Me too. Now, I promised Arwen I would get measured for a matching dress."

The blonde elf chuckled. "Go on then. If there is any change, I will let you know personally."

Cadhradriel nodded her thanks and walked off to the sewing room.