7. Comfort

Glorfindel sat in his study, his quill moving quickly over the parchment. The details of the meeting with Lord Elrond were still fresh in his memory, and he wanted to get them down quickly.

A knock sounded from the door, causing the Ellon to lose his train of thought. He sighed and put down his quill.

"Come in."

The door opened, revealing a bandaged Thranduil, who was now the king of the Greenwood.

Glorfindel extended his hand. "How are you feeling today Mellon?"

Thranduil winced as he entered the room. "I'm healing slowly but surely. May I ask where Cadhradriel is?"

The older Ellon thought for a moment. "Try the training fields. Since she has been awoken, she's been training."

Thranduil frowned. "She needs rest. I'll go talk to her."

Glorfindel nodded and picked up his quill again. "I think that would be wise."

oOo

Thranduil wandered down to the training fields. As the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower had said, his daughter was training.

The Ellon smiled a little. She was definitely a fighter. Ever since the two elves had met centuries ago, Cadhradriel had always been very determined. Thranduil confessed that it was a trait he admired about her.

Cadhradriel grunted as her sword hit the training dummy. When the blade fell away from the rummy, she grasped her abdomen in pain.

Thranduil raised a thick eyebrow. He made his way down the path to her, careful not to trip on a loose stone.

"Cad? Are you all right," he questioned, putting a hand on her shoulder.

The Elleth spun around, knocking the tall elf down onto the ground. Cadhradriel straddled his waist, holding a knife to his throat.

Thranduil's blue eyes were wide with fear. He knew that she was a fierce warrior, but he didn't know how strong she was.

Cadhradriel's eyes widen when she sees her friend beneath her. She scrambled to get off of his lap, cheeks flushed Crimson.

"Thranduil, please forgive me. I didn't know it was you."

The blonde elf slowly sat up, his heart pounding against his chest.

"It's okay. I'm fine," he hesitated for a m before continuing. "Cad, I'm worried about you. Ever since you woke up, you've been acting paranoid."

The dark haired elf looked down to her hands. "I hesitated."

Thranduil moved closer to her, putting a hand on her back. "What?"

Cadhradriel looked up to meet his blue gaze, tears brimming in her own blue eyes. "That day, the day I confronted him," she shuddered.

The young prince of the Greenwood understood now. He moved his arm to her shoulder, bringing her head to his chest. Cadhradriel wrapped her arms around his torso, burying her face in his silver hair.

His other arm wrapped instinctively around her figure, care to avoid her bandaged abdomen. The pair had never been so tender and loving with each other. It felt strange, but a good strange.

Cadhradriel sniffled, pulling back to look at her friend.

"You must think I'm silly to be crying over a prince I never met," she chuckled, wiping her eyes.

Thranduil shook his head. "I think you were brave to have faced an enemy alone. I also think it was very stupid."

Cadhradriel laughed. "You would've done the same thing."

The elf Prince laughed, nodding his head in agreement. "Now, how about some real training," he smirked getting off the ground.

Cadhradriel gave him a sly smile and took the hand he offered to help her up.

oOo

Cadhradriel rolled over in bed, her eyelids fluttering. Her hands clutched the sheets beneath her, and she whimpered.

Her heart beat against her chest, and her eyebrows furrowed together. A second later, she screamed and sat up in bed, wide awake.

The frightened Elleth looked around at her surroundings, expecting to see the witch king. She let out a sigh of relief to see only her bedchamber walls.

Ever since she had awoken from her coma, she had had nightmares of the Last Alliance. The confrontation with the witch king, failing Gil-Galad, and the sights or sounds of the war going on around her.

The elf ran her fingers through her long curled hair, thinking of what to do. She grabbed her dressing gown, and put on her slippers. Perhaps a walk around the courtyard would calm her down.

She silently exited her chambers, making her way down the stairs as silently as possible.

A door at the end of the hall made her stop. Thranduil's chambers.

Her heart pounded inside her chest as she hesitated before walking in the direction.

It only took three knocks before a very tired Thranduil appeared on the other side of the threshold.

He squinted, trying to focus on the figure in front of him. When he realized who it was, his gaze softened.

"Cad, what's wrong?"

"May I come in? I don't want to say out here."

Thranduil nodded and moved to the side to let her in.

oOo

Once inside his chambers, Cadhradriel hesitated again. She turned around to face her friend, and when she got a full view of his front, she blushed Crimson.

Thranduil chuckled before putting on a tunic. His face turned more serious when he saw her expression.

"Cad," he said gently taking her hand. "Please, please tell me what's wrong."

Cadhradriel sighed, sitting on a chair. "Ever since I woke up, I've had these terrible nightmares."

Thranduil sat down opposite of her as she continued.

"I keep reliving those moments before," she cringed, moving her hand to her abdomen. "Before this. I can't get it out of my head."

Thranduil gave her a sympathetic look. He stood up from his seat, and crossed the space between them. He pulled her up into his arms, stroking her hair.

Cadhradriel let her walls down, and cried into his silver hair. The blonde elf held her close to him, letting her cry until she was done.

She looked up at him, tears still in her eyes. Thranduil gently wiped her eyes and kissed her forehead.

"Would you stay with me tonight? I don't want to be alone."

Thranduil smiled gently at her, cupping her cheek. "Of course Mellon nin. I'll keep the nightmares away."

Cadhradriel gave him a teary smile. The Ellon returned the smile, and gently lifted her up, placing her on his bed.

The Elleth snuggled up into his warmth and sighed.

Thranduil's arm wrapped around her form protectively. He closed his eyes as she placed her head below his chin.

"Go to sleep Mellon nin. I will keep you safe, just as I have always done."