24. New Beginnings

As Cadhradriel's pregnancy was nearing to the end, the rest of the world was coming under attack. The Witch King of Angmar had invaded another kingdom, and was slowly taking control of the North.

Glorfindel and Sarthanir stood next to their horses with a fraction of the elvish army from Rivendell. Cadhradriel stood at the top of the staircase, her hands on her baby bump. Daelarien stood next to her daughter, a hand on her shoulder. They bowed their heads to the Ellons before they mounted.

Cadhradriel rubbed her baby bump, it had become a habit when she was nervous. She found comfort when she felt the baby kick. It reminded her that everything would be all right.

Once the elves were out of sight, Cadhradriel and her mother turned to go back inside.

oOo

Lindir rounded a corner when he heard his name being called. He turned around to see his wife coming towards him. The Ellon smiled when he saw her. Once Cadhradriel was within reach, Lindir took her hand in his.

"My starlight, why are you up and walking? You need to be resting."

Cadhradriel rolled her blue eyes. "Lindir, I have been cooped up for the past few weeks, I'm just stretching my legs."

Lindir sighed and placed his hand on her bump. The baby kicked hard, as if knowing that it's father was there. Cadhradriel hissed at the kick. "The little one's been acting up. I think it's almost time."

Lindir smiled and kissed his wife's temple. "I can't wait."

"You're not the one who has to push a seven pound baby out of your body."

Cadhradriel's husband chuckled. "No, but I will be with you the entire time."

The Elleth sighed. "You know you can't be in there until after the baby is born. It would be considered improper."

Her husband considered this as they continued their walk. The couple had decided to go to the garden where they shared their first kiss. To Cadhradriel, it seemed like it was only yesterday instead of one hundred and fifty years ago.

oOo

As the couple were enjoying what little time they had left with just the two of them, a messenger ran in to tell them the company of elves had returned. The messenger paused for a moment, his hands fidgeting with his robes.

"Aida, what is it," Cadhradriel asked as she held onto her husband's arm.

"Lord Sarthanir, he has been wounded."

Cadhradriel felt her blood go cold. The elf let go of her husband to find her brother. Lindir followed close behind, leaving the messenger alone.

Once they reached the healing wing, Cadhradriel covered her mouth with her hand as her younger brother was brought in. His fair face was covered in blood, his golden hair matted, and an arrow sticking out of his chest. Daelarien was already cutting his shirt away and Elrond getting the medicine ready.

Glorfindel looked behind him when he saw his eldest come in. He caught her as she slid down to the floor in his arms, tears streaming down her face.

The elven lord whispered words of comfort to her. "My flower, he will be all right. You will see."

Lindir stood in the doorway. He had never seen so much blood in his life, and he was thankful he was a minstrel. It wasn't until his wife groaned that he snapped back to reality. He bent down to her level, cupping her face with both his hands.

She let out a groan again, and clutched her stomach. "No no no no no not now. No, please no," she sobbed and held onto Lindir.

Lindir's gaze fell to his father in law, who called his wife over. Daelarien put down the blood stained shirt her son was wearing, and rushed over to her family. She dropped to her knees on the floor by her daughter, and gently put her hand on the baby bump.

"I think it's time."

Cadhradriel groaned and squeezed Lindir's arm. "Really? I thought I just had a bad stomach ache."

oOo

Alathleth, the midwife, had been sent for, and she had Cadhradriel moved to her chambers. Lindir and Glorfindel had been asked to leave the room, in order for the women to work. Arwen had been brought in, due to her interest in learning about medicine and healing.

Cadhradriel was relaxed for now. The contractions weren't close enough to begin pushing. For now, Lindir and Glorfindel were allowed in the room. Lindir was sitting on the edge of the bed, holding his wife's hand. Her father had gone to check on his son, who was resting now.

Cadhradriel winced and squeezed Lindir's hand. He knew she was strong, but not strong enough to almost break a bone. He made a mental note to have his hands checked later.

"How do you feel?"

Cadhradriel leaned her head back against the pillow. "I'm terrified."

Lindir kissed the palm of her hand. "I am too. But I know that you're going to do great."

The dark haired Elleth smiled weakly at him. She was getting tired. Lindir could see it in her eyes. "Shall I fetch Alathleth?"

His wife shook her head. "No, I'm okay."

As she spoke, a contraction hit. She groaned and squeezed Lindir's hand tightly. The contractions were getting closer. She looked up at him. "If you want to get her, now would be great."

Lindir nodded and ran to the door.

Alathleth entered a few moments later, with Daelarien and Arwen with her. Lindir kissed Cadhradriel before he was ordered to leave. He stole one last glance at his wife before exiting the bedroom.

oOo

It had been fifteen hours since Cadhradriel had first gone into labour. Now, the elven lady was exhausted. Her mother, midwife, and best friend were working around her, trying to keep her comfortable.

"One last push, my lady. You're so close," Alathleth said with encouragement.

Cadhradriel nodded weakly and braced herself. She let out a loud scream and a big push. Tears were running down her face. She was so tired. Daelarien smiled up at her daughter as the sounds of a baby, her baby filled her ears.