23. Celebration

When Lindir awoke, he saw his wife looking out the window. "Are you sure you should be up and walking?"

Cadhradriel turned around when she heard her husband's voice. She put her hands on her hips. "Melamin, I am not a delicate flower that you need to constantly watch over. I am only ten weeks along, according to Alathleth. I can manage walking a few feet to the bed."

Lindir blushed. "I know. I just want you to be careful."

His wife softened her gaze and walked over to the bed. Lindir moved over to make room for her. Cadhradriel smiled and curled up against him, her head on his chest. Lindir's arms wrapped around her instinctively, holding her close. The couple stayed like that for a long time.

"Do you think we're ready," Cadhradriel asked softly.

Lindir kissed her forehead. "We've been married for what, twenty years now? I think we're as ready as we'll ever be."

oOo

Once word got out that Glorfindel's daughter and Fëanor's granddaughter was pregnant, elven diplomats started coming into Rivendell from all over Middle Earth.

Lindir was overwhelmed by the congratulations he had received. He wasn't much of a social elf. He and Cadhradriel wanted to spend the evening with family, not be paraded around like animals on display. "Oh well. It comes with the family," he thought as he made his way to see his brother.

Thranduil had, of course been invited to the feast. It had been over four hundred years since he last saw the newly expected mother, and he was happily married now with a son of his own. The elven King had brought his son, Legolas, to the feast so he could see Rivendell. The elfling had heard wonderful stories of the valley, but it was his first time visiting.

When Cadhradriel saw her old friend, she made her way over to him. Thranduil bowed to her. "Cadhradriel, you look," he paused for a moment. "Well."

The elleth smiled. "Oh Valar, this is going to be awkward," she thought. "Thank you, my Lord. I hear your guard recently acquired my brother in law, Meludir?"

Thranduil nodded. "Yes, he's become a fine guard. I do believe he's somewhere watching my son." He looked around for the elfling.

"Your son? How old is he?"

"About six years old. He's very good at archery at this age. Ah, there he is."

A small elfling walked over to where his tall father stood. The elfling looked so small compared to his father, though Thranduil did tower over most of the elves.

Cadhradriel bent down to be at eye level with the young prince. "Mae govanen. My name is Cadhradriel, what's yours?"

"Legolas," the prince shyly replied. His blue eyes were wide as he looked around. Cadhradriel smiled. "That is a good strong name fit for a prince." Legolas giggled and ran off to play with the other elflings his age.

Thranduil looked after his son as he ran off. "He is like his mother."

"Oh, yes. How was the wedding? I feel terribly for missing it."

The two spent a few minutes talking about life, and catching up. Thranduil excused himself when one of his guards pulled him aside. Cadhradriel shrugged and went to find her husband. Lindir was with his brother, talking about how they wished their parents could be here when she approached.

"Cad, congratulations! I hope my older brother is good to you and my niece."

Lindir tilted his head. "How do you know it'll be a girl?"

Meludir shrugged. "An uncle knows."

Both Cadhradriel and Lindir rolled their eyes. Her hand went to her stomach, gently running her fingers over it. Boy or girl, she couldn't wait to meet her baby.