14. Confession

Lindir let out a deep breath before knocking on the door to Glorfindel's study. A low voice sounded from the other side of the door, granting him permission to enter.

The Ellon slowly entered. Glorfindel and Daelarien were sitting at their desks when Lindir appeared. Daelarien smiled when she saw the minstrel. "Mae govanen, Lindir. What can we do for you?"

Lindir hesitated for a moment. "I was wondering if you would give me permission to court your daughter."

Glorfindel dropped his quill and glanced to his wife. Daelarien looked back at him, and back to Lindir. "You want to court our daughter?" Lindir nods. "Yes."

Glorfindel stood from his desk and walked over to where Lindir was standing. He took a small step back as the tall elf approached him. Glorfindel stood a few feet away from Lindir, his blue gaze looked the Ellon up and down.

"What makes you think that you are worthy of her?"

Lindir gulped. The elf was certainly more intimidating this close. "Because I know that in my heart, I love her more than life itself," he paused for a moment to glance back at Daelarien. She smiled and nodded her head for him to continue.

"When I am with her, it feels as though the world becomes more beautiful. When she leaves, it feels as though the beautiful world that she only created, passes away from me. My world becomes black and white, and she is the only thing that gives it color. Please, my lord, at least give me one chance to prove it."

Glorfindel looked back to his wife, who only shrugged. It was clear to the elf that she had already made her mind up. The blonde elf sighed and put a hand to his temple.

"Very well. You have one chance, but know this: if you so much as break her heart, I will put an end to you myself," he put a hand on Lindir's shoulder and turned towards the door with him. "My daughter has known heartbreak, more than most of the other elves here. Do not harm her in any way, or I will send you to the Halls of Mandos myself!"

Lindir nodded his head. "Understood, my lord. Thank you, both of you."

oOo

When Cadhradriel didn't find Lindir in the library, she decided to go to the gardens, his second favorite place. She didn't find him there either.

Cadhradriel frowned and sat down trying to think where else he could be. The sound of footsteps on the stone path, caused her to look up. She smiled seeing the elf whom she was searching for.

"My lady," Lindir said as he bowed.

Cadhradriel smiled and patted the space next to her. "Come and sit."

Lindir gladly took his seat next to her, and looked down at his hands for a moment. It took him a few seconds to muster up the courage to ask her.

"Cadhradriel, may I be so bold as to a sort of personal question?"

"Lindir, you know that we don't have any secrets. I am an open book to you."

He blushed. "Of course. But first, I need to confess something."

The dark haired Elleth waited patiently for him to continue. "Cadhradriel, I'm afraid that I have fallen for you. I can't help but feel as though my world is black and white when I'm away from you, but when you are near, my world becomes colorful. Whenever you walk into a room, the light seems to follow you, as if it were your own shadow. It brings my heart joy to see your beautiful smiling face everyday. The talks that we have had in the gardens, the one where we each confessed our hopes, dreams, fears, and accomplishments, I remember them all.

"What I am trying to ask is if I could court you officially. I have already asked your parent's blessing, and though your Ada was rather hesitant, he gave it."

Cadhradriel's eyes filled with tears as she watched the Ellon next to her pour his heart out. She reached out for his hand, and held it in her own.

"Nothing would make me happier. I didn't realize it until after you visited with Sarthanir and I in the garden earlier. You have been my light since the darkness from the time I woke from that sleeping death. Your music was the thing that brought me back to this reality. Ever since then, I have longed to hear more of your songs and voice to ease my heart from the troubles of this world. Lindir, I would be honored to court you officially."

Lindir smiled and brought her hand up to his lips to kiss. Cadhradriel smiled and wrapped her arms around his neck. Lindir's arms instinctively went around her, bringing her closer to him.

For a brief moment, everything in their world was perfect.