10. Necklace

Cadhradriel sat in the garden, reading a book. She twisted her necklace in her hand, unaware of a pair of lingering eyes.

"What are you reading?"

The Elleth jumped hearing a voice from the archway. She smiled when she saw it was only Lindir.

"The story of Gondolin. I don't remember much about it."

Lindir raised an eyebrow. "You were there?"

Cadhradriel nodded and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "I was. I was only an elfling when the city fell, but I do remember it."

She laughed before continuing. "My best friend, Caolifhoinn, and I would always sneak into the training grounds to watch our fathers train."

oOo

Cadhradriel raced down the streets on the High Market, her tutor in her heels.

"Cadhradriel! Cadhradriel! Come back!"

The elfling turned back, and smirked seeing her teacher so far behind her. Her small legs carried her to the training fields where her father was.

Ecthelion's daughter, Caolifhoinn, was already sitting on the top of the wall watching.
Cadhradriel plopped down next to her best friend, and looked for her father.

The young elflings giggled watching the soldiers. Grunts could be heard from the training camp.

Caolifhoinn picked up a stick, and took a stance facing Cadhradriel. The dark haired elfling found another stick. The two elflings mimicked the soldier's fighting.

Ecthelion and Glorfindel stood on a ledge overlooking the camp. Glorfindel nudged his best friend to their daughters. The dark haired Ellon shook his head.

"Will they ever learn."

Glorfindel chuckled. "Why is it that such a bad thing Mellon nin."

Ecthelion gave the other elven lord a look. "Caolifhoinn doesn't not belong in war. She does not need to see the horrors that we know."

The lord of the House of the Golden Flower nodded. Before he could reply, he heard a sharp cry come from one of the elflings.

The two elf lords looked to where their daughters were. Both of the girls were laughing and shrieking as they played with their sticks.

oOo

After a while, the soldiers were dismissed, and the elven lords joined their daughters. Cadhradriel raced into her father's arms, and Caolifhoinn grabbed Ecthelion's leg.

"What were you two doing down there," questioned the dark haired Ellon.

"We want to be soldiers like you, Ada," Caolifhoinn exclaimed as her father hoisted her up onto his hip.

Glorfindel raised an eyebrow to his daughter. "Oh? And I'm assuming that you wanted to join in as well?"

Cadhradriel nodded eagerly. "Just like you?"

The two older elves laughed. "Perhaps one day. Now say goodbye, Cadhradriel."

The elfling waved goodbye to her best friend and her father, as she and Glorfindel continued to make their way home.

oOo

Glorfindel knocked on Cadhradriel's slightly ajar bedroom door.

"Ada," the elfling squealed, climbing over her mother. Daelarien sighed and looked to her husband.

"Meleth nin, she was just calming down."

Glorfindel kissed her temple as he sat down next to her on the bed. "Oh, I don't think she'd mind. Especially since I have a gift for her."

Cadhradriel squealed again as she climbed into her father's lap. Glorfindel chuckled and wrapped his arms around her, keeping her from falling off.

Daelarien smiled as he brought out a little wooden box, the symbol of their house carved on top.

Cadhradriel's eyes went wide as Glorfindel opened it. His fingers pulled out a flower necklace, with pale green emeralds as the petals and diamonds as the center.

"A fitting gift for my flower."

Cadhradriel reached her small hand up to grasp it. Her fingers ran over the gemstones carefully. She smiled up at her father, and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Thank you, Ada. I'll never take it off ever!"

Glorfindel smiled, and put the delicate necklace around her neck. Once he finished, he kissed her cheek and looked down at her. "You're very welcome, my flower."

Daelarien smiled, and tucked a strand of hair behind her daughter's ear. "Now, would you please go to sleep?"

Cadhradriel stuck her lower lip out. "Please? Just a few more minutes, Nana?"

Daelarien looked to her husband, who pulled the same puppy dog face and eyes. She sighed giving in. "Five minutes tops."

Cadhradriel cheered. Glorfindel mouthed a thank you to his wife, who playfully rolled her eyes as she left the room.

oOo

Cadhradriel smiled at the faint memory. Lindir noticed that she was still playing with her necklace.

"You really did keep your promise."

The Elleth looked to him confused. "I'm sorry?"

Lindir motioned to her fingers that were twiddling the silver strand of metal. "Your promise to your Ada."

Cadhradriel blushed. "Oh. Yes, though I do believe it's stuck now. I don't think it will ever come off now."

Lindir chuckled. His gaze fell to the ground. "Would you mind accompanying me to the evening dinner tonight?"

Cadhradriel gave him a gentle smile. "I would be honored."