not afraid.

And I just can't keep living this way

So starting today, I'm breaking out of this cage

I'm standing up, I'ma face my demons

I'm manning up, I'ma hold my ground

I've had enough, now I'm so fed up

Time to put my life back together right now!

Not Afraid ~ Eminem

~

Michael's POV

I wiped tears from my eyes and looked at Luke. He looked absolutely broken. I sighed, turning my head to see if Calum was okay. He looked over at me, his eyes filled with a mixture of sadness and shock. I brought my sleeve up to his face, wiping away the tracks of his tears. He gestured towards Luke, his facial expression asking what we should do with him. I shrugged.

"We should probably just take him home." I whispered to Calum. He nodded. I looked around at the people staring at us and Luke. They didn't look freaked out or anything. They looked sympathetic.

"Luke, mate, we need to go home. Come on." I said, grabbing his arm. He didn't resist. He just got up and let Calum and me drag him along. He didn't say anything on the way to his house. 

We walked up to the front door. Luke got out his keys and unlocked the door. He tried to shut it before Calum and I went inside, but I stopped it with my hand. He gave me a questioning look. I looked over to Calum.

"I don't really think you should be alone right now, mate." Calum said, giving Luke a small smile. 

"I'm fine." Luke said, turning away from us. He brought his hands up to his face. He soon started shaking, sobs leaving his mouth.

"Right." I said, running a hand through my hair. I came up behind him and hugged him. He tried to get away, but I refused to let him.

"What would make you feel better?" I asked him. Whatever it is, I'll do it.

"To see Ashton." He replied. I kinda figured that was what he would say. Hmm. How can he see Ashton?

"Like, visit him in the hospital?" Calum asked. That's a good idea.

"Close enough." Luke mumbled.

And with that, we were on our way to see Ashton.

~

Luke's POV

I was never really bothered by hospitals. Most people hated them or just had some kind of disliking to them. But when Ashton is the one in the hospital, I fucking hate them.  

We've been in the waiting room for the past hour. Calum, Michael, Harry, Louis, Liam, Ashton's mum, and I were the only ones here to see Ashton. I don't know where Niall and Zayn disappeared to, but Zayn better not fucking come.

He's the reason Ashton is here.

But as I've recently learned, things don't turn out the way you want them to.

I watched the door as Zayn walked in, Niall right behind him. I don't care if Zayn considers him and Ashton "cool" now, I was still fucking pissed. You don't just fucking ruin someone's life!

"You better get the fuck out of here, Zayn." I said, walking up to Zayn. I don't care if I sound like a fucking bastard, he needs to leave. He hurt Ashton. He cannot be here.

"Luke, I know you probably hate me, but I regret everything I did to Ashton. It was all stupid and immature of me." Zayn replied. If what he was saying wasn't the truth, then I was going to kick his ass...or have Michael do it for me...

"Better be the fucking truth, Malik." I said. I was hoping this would be intimidating because of my height. 

"It is. I promise." Zayn said, hopefully being truthful.

"You gotta do the pinkie thing." Calum said. Zayn stuck out his pinkie, expecting me to link mine with it. I glared at him, walking away and ignoring whatever the fuck the "pinkie thing" is. I walked back to my seat, pulling my knees up to my chest and laying my head on them.

I felt someone lay their hand on my shoulder.

"Get the fuck away from me, Calum. Or Michael. Either way, just fucking leave. I'm not in the mood." I said, annoyed. I don't want to talk to them right now. They'll try to tell me some bullshit stuff like "oh, he's definitely going to be okay" and shit like that. We don't fucking know if he's going to be okay!

"It's not them." The person said.

Harry.

"What are you doing here? You know, talking to me?" I asked as politely as I could. Harry doesn't seem like a bad guy, and I don't want to scare him away and make him think I'm a freak. 

"Well, I think I know what you need to hear. I'm not going to give you that crap where I assure you he is going to be okay. We don't know anything that's happened, so why would I just lie to you like that? The thing is, don't expect the best. I'm not saying the worst is going to happen, but I'm also not saying he's going to be perfectly fine when he gets out. Well, if." 

Now that was what I needed to hear.

I looked at Harry, my eyes giving him a look that hopefully said "thanks." He smiled, walking back to everyone else. Everyone was in a group, minus me.

"Uh, Harry?" I said.

"Yeah, Luke?" 

"C-can I go over there with you guys?" I asked.

"Of course." He said, smiling and gesturing me to come with him.

We just talked, waiting for news on Ashton.

~

"Okay, so I'd hate to turn our fun to seriousness, but do you actually think Ashton will be okay?" Niall asked us.

"Well, I think he's a fighter. He's made it this far. He's talked about giving in so much, but has he yet? There's always going to be a few mistakes or mishaps, but whatever happens, I think he can make it." Harry answered. I know earlier he didn't say this. But he genuinely believe in Ashton being okay. I could see it in his eyes. He had hope in Ashton.

"I think he's a fighter, too. I'm not afraid." Louis said, grabbing Harry's hand. Everyone else agreed with them. Harry, Louis, Niall, Liam, Zayn, Calum, Michael. All of them weren't afraid. That made it harder for me to say this, but I said it anyway.

"I'm terrified."

~