3 - FLASHBACK (Part 1)

1st of January, 2010

Dear Diary,

Beside the smug-jerk that was unapologetic for hitting my back with his football, school was great. I think I am beginning to like pre-med school. So that’s it for today, but I’m really excited for tomorrow because it’s my birthday. I’m looking forward for mama’s birthday breakfast special which she prepares every year for our birthdays. I am really craving for it because Carlo wouldn’t allow me to take a bite of his, last month. And now it’s payback time! Haha.

***

I was about to sleep when I heard a lousy knock at my door.

“Hey! Are you still awake?”, I jumped out of my bed startled. Carlo. Annoying. He doesn’t have to shout in the middle of a quiet night. He knows how nervous I am. And then most probably he’s doing it on purpose. Nuisance.

“No”, I giggled because I know that he hates sarcasm. He thinks it’s the lowest form of humor but the hell I care, still it made me laugh knowing that I returned the nuisance to him.

“HA…  HA… Very funny Thea!”

“Thought you don’t do sarcastic?” I asked still giggling.

“Just open the damn door!”

Geez, what an impatient nuisance.

I was still giggling when I opened the door and Carlo handed me a small box wrapped in an old newspaper with uneven tapes with a bow made of rope that I think he got from papa’s toolbox. Carlo isn’t gifted with artistry. I smirked.

“So you knocked at my door in the middle of the night just to throw your trash here? We have a trash bin in the kitchen you know.” I said grinning in a mocking manner.

He glowered at me.

I rolled my eyes still giggling. Geez, hot-headed nuisance

I tore the gift wrapper nonchalantly trying my best to not give him a hint that I am excited to see his gift. Carlo gives the coolest thing, strange cool thing. Last year, he gave me an antique vial with a big rusty bullet inside but he wouldn’t tell me where he got it. Secretive nuisance.

I opened the box and I was really surprised. It was lovely quaint necklace, the long gold chain is simple and classic but what made the necklace stand out was the beautiful unusual pendant. The shape is exquisite, it’s a three cornered design whose line forms three interconnected triangular shapes, and there are engraved random cursive writing . It’s a triqueta, I recognize the shape from one of the topics in history class.  The middle part of the pendant was in solid gold and there was a round hole right in the center. It took my breath away. 

"Happy Birthday Ate! so I am assuming that you like it" Carlo said with a grin.

"I love it, thank you" 

"You are crying, hahaha!boy this is better than what I expected" he said happily

"Lemme take a photo of you, little weirdo", and there's the flash of his camera that startled me. I don't like anyone taking a photo of me especially now that I am crying awkwardly.

 "Hey!! I’m older than you - you know"

 "But still smaller than me, go to bed midget" he teased

 I stuck my tongue out, he laughed and left.

 I can’t wait for tomorrow to wear it so I wore the lovely quaint necklace to my sleep.

***

I woke up feeling really thirsty and when I looked at my alarm clock its only half pass 2 in the morning. I went down to the kitchen, took a glass of water from the faucet and sat in the bar stool. That’s when I heard a loud banging and I think it is coming from the attic. I sit up straight trying to focus on my hearing senses and there I heard footsteps, it wasn’t loud but I clearly heard it, then I heard a door squeaked. Fuck, there’s a burglar in the attic.