9 - Questions

Prepared for what? I wanted to ask Ram that but I can’t find my voice. From everything that I just heard, I became mute. We stared at each other for a long while, trying to read what our eyes conveyed. In his eyes I saw agony and I wanted to ask him why so I could make him feel better. Through his eyes I felt his anguish. He was afraid of something and I was hesitant to ask - I was tensed because if a warrior like him was afraid of something then who am I to not be worried?

Slowly I moved closer to him, held his right hand and squeezed it a little. His hand was hard as a rock and my hand ached a bit even if I didn’t put too much force in squeezing his. But I didn’t mind the little ache I felt as I knew that he was going into something that was much worse than what I physically felt.

Words failed me and I just hoped that he saw in my eyes how badly I wanted to reassure him that whatever he was feeling right now would vanish.

But why would this angel in front of me believe anything I would perceive if I couldn’t even convince myself that everything that was happening to me surely has an end.

For that, I pulled my hand away from him and I saw that he was benumbed. I was also surprised for my boldness. I shouldn’t have done that, it was too contempt. Although he was half human, still he was half-holy and I should show respect. Foolish Thea!

“Forgive my boldness”, and automatically I bowed my head down feeling a little ashamed for touching his hand.

His eyes were wide opened in astonishment and he shook his head as if he was telling me to take back what I said.

He held both my arms and said,” No no.. You shouldn’t…”

“Thea? Who’s you with?” and that’s Kasey who just entered the living room. I saw her mouth drop wide open in shock.

No! This isn’t what you think it is! I wanted to say in defense of her reaction but when Ram turned to look at where she was standing, visibly she relaxed.

“Oh! Ram! Hi.” She grinned sweetly and batted her eyelashes at him. Classic Kasey move.

Ram stood and smiled at her. “Hi Kasey! I was just about to go.”

And Ram was back to his cheerful self again. Was that Kasey’s effect on her? Because every time she saw her, his mood shifted positively. I sighed. And I have the opposite effect on him. When he’s with me, he’s in fear, anxious and agony - maybe because I vitiate my gloomy aura on him.

Well, there’s nothing I could do about that. I just dismissed the thought out of my mind, it didn’t matter anyways.

“Not again! You should stay. At least for dinner!”, Kasey offered in her hopeful tone.

Ram eyed me quizzically, maybe asking for if it was okay for me to let him stay.

Why did he need my approval? I am not Kasey's mom!!! You don't ask my consent!! I wanted to shout but instead I just shrugged gesturing him that he could do whatever he wanted.

Ram smiled coyly at Kasey and she jumped in victory. I groaned in annoyance with Kasey – she should know that it isn’t necessary to flirt with all the guys she finds attractive. She’s like a predator always ready to hunt a new prey.

I sat back at the sofa and pretended to read the article that was on display on my laptop so I would be spared from the flirtation that was about to begin.

I commanded my mind to not listen to them but why does it had to be today that my mind won’t obey?

“There’s a buffet dinner at the resto downstairs, would you like that?”